Cleaning Hard drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Hard drive

I am giving to the local school my old HP with Windows ME on it.

I wanted to clean if of personal files before I gave it away.

I downloaded a Fdisk and did a wipe.

Now when I try and re-load the orginal/legal software, to insure all my personnel stuff is gone, it says can not find Hard drive.

I know the hard drive is there because I can load Windows 2000 pro, but do not have the key, it's from another old computer.

Question: how can I load some OS on this to ensure my personnel stuff is gone. Also, my new computer does not have a floopy, so I can not make a boot floppy.

Re: Cleaning Hard drive

What u prob. did was, u deleted all ur partitions. Any Operationg System u try to install on ur PC will first ask u to create partitions (such as C:\ drive)!!!
    Personaly i think u should get some other, more advanced application for "cleaning" ur old HDD. Because even after deleting partitions and formatting with FDISK, other various applications (such as Get Back Data/Recove My Files) can recover ur old files.

Comment

can you explain more... like

1) How did you try to load a OS and which version did you try to Load?
      2) And how 2000 Pro detects the Harddisk?

Comment

Download a Windows 98 bootdisk with FDISK on it and create a new primary partition. ME should then install properly.

BTW FDISK does NOT get rid of the data from your PC.

What i usually do is use DBAN and wipe the disk over night.

Comment

I have used this app- both free version and registered--
          no problems

http://www.killdisk.com/

If you are "paranoid" use
          R-studio to ensure that the drive is clean
          http://www.r-studio.com/

Fdisk
          reload
          should be good to go

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
            Download a Windows 98 bootdisk with FDISK on it and create a new primary partition. ME should then install properly.

BTW FDISK does NOT get rid of the data from your PC.

What i usually do is use DBAN and wipe the disk over night.
            i agree. let it run overnight and write a series of randoms 3 or 4 or as many layers as it can in the 12 hour period overnight and you should be good as far as them being able to retrieve data.

DBAN Download page and FAQs

now about the "no disk found"... even if you remove the partition, the OS disk should still see the drive without a partition, unless the drive sits on a proprietary RAID controller that m$ doesnt include the drivers for in the OS install disk. i dont hink this is the case, however, because you stated that you were using ME... and computers produced when ME was the 'new and improved' OS from m$ didnt have RAID on-board as many do defacto these days.

check the BIOS settings and make sure its turned on, or use UBCD (ultimate boot CD) which includes all the hardware testing benchmarking and partitioning tools you could ever need... including all the major hard drive manufacturer tools for diagnostic purposes, which is a big help. i would suggest having it on hand anyways, as it will come in handy.

ultimatebootcd

good luck,
            James
            Last edited by James Haynes; 21st March 2008, 15:33.
            its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
            Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Soap and water I find cleans up a drive best.

If you are that concerned about data being retrieved from the HDD, then it would be best to destroy the drive and replace it with a cheap second hand one. The school may even have a spare drive laying around from a dead system.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
              X