Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IBM Blade Center - how to turn off this thing

Hi,

Is anyone know how to trun off Blade Center CHASSIS (ibm). I know how to turn off separetly Blades but I don't know how to do this with CHASSIS. I've hope that unplug power is not one way to take it off. I belive there is something like console manager or something - but how to get into this console??

BTW. I can't find any naswer on google. There are only advice about blade modules but not about whole chassis :/

Thanks.

Re: IBM Blade Center - how to turn off this thing

funny you should ask... i have two IBM blade centers, and i was wondering the same thing.

what you suggested you didnt want to do is exactly what i was told to do to reset the entire thing... unplug it.

we were doing some firmware upgrades, and i asked the IBM d00d "how do you restart the entire blade center?"

he replys "like this" and reaches down and grabs the huge three way plug on one side and removed it.

this caused the MM to fail over to the other one, the fans kick up into high speed to compensate for the loss of the other, then after the MM migrated over, he pulls the other one... go figure.

this was only done after all the virtuals were shut off cleanly... then MM1, then MM2, then cold. 12345... plug it back in and viola!

and this was told to me by the IBM reps, not just a guess.

ive found you can only turn off the MMs and the individual blades via the "BladeCenter® H Advanced Management Module" (that is the title of my management webpage) and the blade chassis is either plugged in or its not.
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

generally blade chassisses (how do you spell that in plural anyway?) do not shut down. they only powercycle, and that can be done through the control console.
      ________
      Hotels in mexico city
      Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:09.
      Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Originally posted by DYasny View Post
        generally blade chassisses (how do you spell that in plural anyway?) do not shut down. they only powercycle, and that can be done through the control console.
        exactly, that is why you gotta yank the cord. you can only power-cycle the blade, the management modules, and the ethernet/fiber SMs.

in some situations, it is necessary to turn the entire thing off... like after reassigning the IPs on the MM once, i couldnt get back in and had to unplug the beast.

i wouldnt suggest doing this after the initial configuration, as you stand to corrupt your virtuals.

Comment

Originally posted by James Haynes View Post
          in some situations, it is necessary to turn the entire thing off... like after reassigning the IPs on the MM once, i couldnt get back in and had to unplug the beast.
          that's definitely not normal. are the firmware version up to date on the MMs? and do they match? sometimes a mismatch causes glitches
          ________
          Ferrari f2007
          Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:10.

Comment

Originally posted by DYasny View Post
            that's definitely not normal. are the firmware version up to date on the MMs? and do they match? sometimes a mismatch causes glitches
            you hit it. there was a mismatch in the firmware (due to my inexperience in updating firmware on a blade chassis) and instead of reading the whole page first, i just started running pl scripts and viola! hosed...

so i was forced to cause i couldnt get in to manage anything...

but your right, that isnt normal.

james

Comment

most people wouldn't know that. I just have to deal with this sort of hardware on a daily basis, generally helping out system admins from other companies

more so, most people wouldn't even consider firmware as an issue, thinking "if it worked till now, it should continue working" and get very surprised when a 5 minute firware update solves an issue they have been struggling with for weeks
              ________
              Uhwh
              Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:13.

Comment

Working...
              X