Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will a slave virus infected hard disk infect my primary drive?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will a slave virus infected hard disk infect my primary drive?

Hi guys i need your help.. I have a friend who brought his hard disk to me saying that it is infected with virus and he is not able to use it. the thing is he doesnt want to do a clean installation of windows because he has important files in there ( no backup). What he want me to do is scan and repair his drive by making it a slave hardisk on my computer. I didnt do it yet i dont want to risk.
    My question is if i attach that hard disk to my computer and make it slave. Will the virus from that hard disk(my friends's) infect my primary hard disk (my hard disk)?
    Thanks guys...
    Ronuel
    MCP
    There is only one way to find Out..Its to try it and/or Do it...

Re: Will a slave virus infected hard disk infect my primary drive?

If you are worried, get a stand alone virus checker on a bootable floppy or CD and run that against the infected drive only.

As long as you do not execute files / run scripts off the slave drive, it is unlikely to infect your primary drive, but that does not make it certain it won't
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Also, how does your friend know he has a virus?

If you go the slave route, you can use your installed and "current" AV package (just making sure

If your friend can boot off the drive in the original machine then he can run a free standalone CD / Floppy as Ossian suggests.

Go to any major AV site and you should be able to find a standalone download as a starting point.

Once cleaned by a standalone floppy / CD, do make sure a major AV package is installed on that machine with "current" definitions and scan the entire drive again as the free standalone packages may miss some of the newer variants.

In alphabetic order without any implied recommendation, here are a few "free" standalone options:

AVG (Vcleaner cleans a number of viruses. Also a number of specific virus cleaners):

http://www.grisoft.com/doc/34/us/crp/0

McAfee (Stinger cleans a number of viruses. I've used this before with success):

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

Norton / Symantec (appears you need to know what virus you have else they offer a fee service):

http://www.symantec.com/norton/secur...movaltools.jsp

PC-cillin (Housecall looks like it will identify a number of viruses though it may only report vs clean?):

http://us.trendmicro.com/us/products...ces/index.html

Good luck
      Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Just to add to the others.

I use Sophos for scanning any system via safe mode.

You can get more info here

http://www.sophos.com/support/disinfection/worms.html

2. Sophos Anti-Virus for Windows, version 7
        To remove a worm:

Close down all programs.
        Go to Start|Programs|Sophos|Sophos Anti-Virus and run the 'Sophos Anti-Virus' program.
        In the 'Available scans' list, select the scan for which you want to enable removal, or use 'Setup a new scan' to scan your local disks. (Do not select a scheduled scan, as you will not be able to run this manually.)
        Click Edit|Configure this Scan.
        Select the Cleanup tab and select 'Automatically clean up items that contain virus/spyware'. Click Apply|OK.
        Click 'Save and Start' to save the scan, and run it immediately.
        At the end of the scan, click the link in 'Items passed to Quarantine' to open Quarantine manager.
        Select any items needing removal.
        From the 'Perform action' dropdown, select 'Delete'.
        Select 'Yes' or 'Yes to all' to delete files.
        Run another scan to ensure that the file has been removed.
        Click Edit|Configure this Scan.
        Select the Cleanup tab and deselect 'Automatically clean up items that contain virus/spyware'. Click Apply|OK.
        If Sophos Anti-Virus cannot delete files because they are held open by the operating system, make a note of the names of the files, then do as follows.

Download an emergency copy of SAV32CLI. On an uninfected Windows computer, run this file to extract the contents into a SAV32CLI folder on a medium that can be write-protected. Copy the SAV32CLI folder produced onto a medium that can be write-protected. Add any relevant IDEs to this folder and write-protect the disk (on a CD/R or CD/RW close the session).
        Restart the computer in Safe Mode. Go to Start|Shut Down. Select 'Restart' from the dropdown list and click 'OK'. Windows will restart. Press F8 when you see the following text at the bottom of the screen "For troubleshooting and advanced startup options for Windows 2000, press F8". In the Windows 2000 Advanced Options Menu, select the third option 'Safe Mode with Command Prompt'.
        At the affected computer, place the CD in the CD drive (D: in this example). At the command prompt type

D:

to access the CD drive. Type:
        CD SAV32CLI

Then type:
        SAV32CLI -REMOVE -P=C:\LOGFILE.TXT

to remove the file.
        Before leaving Safe Mode, edit any registry entries mentioned in the analysis recovery instructions. If problems persist, contact support.

Comment

thanks so much for the help sirs, the hard disk is already clean..
          Ronuel
          MCP
          There is only one way to find Out..Its to try it and/or Do it...

Comment

First install AV updated version or update it. Attach slave drive and scan it and remove any virus if it has. and do not open any partition on this drive b4 cleaning it with AV.
            After cleaning you can save the data too and format this drive.
            Thanx
            Zia

Comment

Working...
            X