Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cable labeling - is any printer ?

Hi,

I'm looking good way to marked all my network cable in racks. If anyone have good idea how to do this, or someone know good label printer (dymo label printer in my case is not to good). Maybe someone did this before but on other ways?
    Last edited by ryszon; 20th February 2008, 10:00. Reason: spelling

Re: Cable labeling - is any printer ?

I have never found an effective way except hand writing a number on the cable and using a spreadsheet or database to keep track of it. Even then, indelible ink isn't a lot of the time! so I write the number on in several places.

I have heard suggestions of coloured bands (think of coding on resistors as an example) painted on cables, again with a database to keep track of it all
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

We are using here two solutions:
      - Brother P-Touch PT1650. Over the tape, we usually stick some transparent sellotape/scotch tape.
      Pros: nice and nifty. Looks "high-tech" ...
      Cons: when you change cables, you need to take off the old codes and stick new ones. A lot of work...
      - marker ties.
      Pros: easy to put on and easy to take off (a nice pair of pliers will do the job).
      Cons: looks "low-tech". You may damage the cable if you close the tie too tight on the cable.

Plus, we are using different colors of cables for different tasks.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

Personally I never liked labeling cables for the reasons listed below (removing old labels, etc.). I keep an Excel spreadsheet with every network connection posted at my racks. When I make a change, I update the spreadsheet and post a new copy.

Comment

I've used colored cables (eg: red for clients, blue for servers, black for voice etc) and kept track in a spreadsheet where each cable belongs to.
          Marcel
          Technical Consultant
          Netherlands
          http://www.phetios.com
          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

they do make wiring stickers for cables.

i used to do diesel pump repair, and the islands that have pumps have an assload of wires... sometimes 400 or 500 for multi-island pumps.

you have a spool with the numbers 0 thru 9 on one in a color (say green), and a second with 0-9 in blue, and another in red, so forth...

and a second set with the letters of the alphabet on the other. this allows you to create logical color and alphanumeric schemes for your wiring.

since i do computers and not gas pumps these days, i only use the colored number spool, but i basically have a 1 to 1 setup. i did use all the s's and p's and r's for "switch", "router", and "port".

all red numbers, with the actual port number and the green jack number... you know how a switch (for sake of argument) has 48 numbered ports? well, if the second switch in a 3 switch cluster has a connection coming from port 2 to the wall jack, then the label reads on the switch end:
            s2 p2

this will let me know that this cable should be in the second switch, second port, and connected to the wall jack drop number 50. this way i dont have to count 13 up from 48 twice when im on the third switch.

make sense? maybe im just a little anal, but networking is one of my weak points, so i rely on meticulous documentation and procedure when i do.

i also use certain port ranges for specific things... the number 48 port is left for trunking if needed. the first 5 for other switching equipment, the last five prior to 48 for network printers, yada, yada...

now i have a CCIE with us, so i dont care.
            Last edited by James Haynes; 20th February 2008, 16:16.
            its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
            Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Certain colors for certain things. If you're setting up a network for someone else, definitely have a full written map of the network so you can give it to the client (as well as reference it years down the road).
              ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Forget printer the labels will peel off. I found this + your favourite spreadsheet or db to be best solution. Takes a bit of time to attach but down the line it will save you a lot of time hassle.
                your local rs components should have them.
                Attached Files
                Leave 'reputation' when deserved :

Comment

Originally posted by popeye67 View Post
                  Forget printer the labels will peel off. I found this + your favourite spreadsheet or db to be best solution. Takes a bit of time to attach but down the line it will save you a lot of time hassle.
                  your local rs components should have them.
                  Ok, this is when a link to the manufacturer or supplier is NOT treated as spam.

Looks interesting. Please post the name of the product and where it is obtainable. Also, how much did you pay for a "sheet" of the characters? Ta.

Just saw the rs, so I assume Radio Shack. A product name would still be appreciated for those of us who don't have a RS.
                  Last edited by biggles77; 21st February 2008, 10:02. Reason: Added info
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                    Ok, this is when a link to the manufacturer or supplier is NOT treated as spam.

Looks interesting. Please post the name of the product and where it is obtainable. Also, how much did you pay for a "sheet" of the characters? Ta.

Just saw the rs, so I assume Radio Shack. A product name would still be appreciated for those of us who don't have a RS.

Yes, I think popey have good product to make test for labels. I would like to know what is that (as with my english I even can't name it) as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ryszon View Post
                      with my english I even can't name it
                      No problem: print the picture, go to your local electronics store and show it

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                      -

Comment

Those are realy good for labeling
                        Attached Files

Comment

Its not radio shack Its rs components

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/

search for cable labels
                          Leave 'reputation' when deserved :

Comment