Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identifying Windows OS

Hi
    I have been asked to repair a machine where Windows will not boot.
    Having tried FIXMBR and FIXBOOT, the corruption still exists.
    I have now taken off all the data prior to reformatting and re-installing, but - while I am certain that it is a legal copy, the CoA was never stuck to the casing.
    I have retrieved the key from the system, but cannot find out whether it is Windows Home or Professional before re-loading. Asking the owner resulted in an "Oh, I dunno!" (He runs a small business and has mixture of machines).
    Can anyone help?
    Ta!

Re: Identifying Windows OS

Oooops!
    Further to that - I did, of course - mean XP Pro or Home.

Comment

You can always run the winver command from the command prompt and see... Unless, of course, you cannot get a command prompt, like, for instance, cases when XP won't boot
      In this cases, you can look at the following file: [SystemDrive]:\Windows\System32\EULA.txt . The second line will contain the XP version ...

Good luck with your restoration ....

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

Or, even more alternatively... look at the label on your compact disk. All the Microsoft ones and all the OEM ones state it on the label... including manufacturer's own "Restore" disks have it printed on somewhere.

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Tom, I think the OP talks about the OS version that is installed on the computer, to be repaired...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Yes... and if it's a true copy he will have the install disk.

Tom
            For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Seriously?! If they can't help themselves, you can't help THEM! Tell him that "Oh, I dunno!" will cost him $$$. Watch how quickly the response changes to "Oh, I know now!....".

Everyone should have their original manuals, CDs, etc in the mobo box which came with the PC. That's what I give my customers and I stress to them how important it is to keep it all safe.
              |
              +-- JDMils
              |
              +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
              |

Comment

As I see this post, there is this guy that holds in hand two (as he states, they are legal) installations disks, one for XP Home and one for XP Pro. He has few computers, some with one OS and some with the other.
                Now, one of them is dead, and he has to re-install it. He is in front of a dilemma: which one is which? He doesn't know how to tell from outside of the OS, and it won't boot (so cannot check with winver).
                In search for help, he comes to the best forums on the planet, Petri.co.il ...
                I don't understand what's all the fuss about. The answer is straight and simple: the EULA file.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Originally posted by Suetonius View Post
                  Hi
                  but - while I am certain that it is a legal copy, the CoA was never stuck to the casing.
                  I have retrieved the key from the system
                  What is a Certificate of Authenticity (COA)?
                  A Certificate of Authenticity (COA) is a label that helps you identify genuine Microsoft software. A COA is not a software license it is a visual identifier that assists in determining whether or not the Microsoft software you are running is genuine. However, without it, you will not have a legal license to run Microsoft software. A COA should never be purchased by itself without the software it authenticates.
                  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/h...lang=en&pg=coa

Based on the above, I would strongly recommend getting a legal copy of whichever version of Windows is appropriate
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by JDMils View Post
                    Everyone should have their original manuals, CDs, etc in the mobo box which came with the PC. That's what I give my customers and I stress to them how important it is to keep it all safe.
                    Ever purchased a Lenovo or Acer PC lately? No CD, no manual, just everything in a Recovery Partition and no motherboard box to put it in either. Yes there is a COA on the case but on the Lenovo it is placed next to the power supply. The heat of the power supply actually singes the COA so part of the number can NOT be read. Maybe we should removed the COA and put that in the motherboard box that we don't have.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                      Based on the above, I would strongly recommend getting a legal copy of whichever version of Windows is appropriate
                      The OP only states that
                      the CoA was never stuck to the casing
                      That doesn't mean the COA isn't there, it's just not on the faulty computer...
                      Maybe we should wait for some input from the OP, I feel we're going in circles here...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Agreed about the circular motion, but he said he "retrieved the key from the system" Does this suggest the existance of a legitimate COA?
                        Tom Jones
                        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                        X