Anti Music Piracy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti Music Piracy

I dunno if someone considers this should be in a differnt section. I could post this in a number of PC Programming forums but as I am here I will see what your think.

You may have heard on the news attempts are being made in the UK, France , Belgium and probable other countries to make Internet Servers responsible for banning the sending of pirated MP3 music files. The servers will be ordered to disconnect the user if they fail to stop such attempts after a warning email.

Now even with my fairly limited know ledge of programming. I know it should be quite easy to create a package that will include one or more MP3 etc files if necessary with the .EXT changed so that the computer of the server will not recognise it as an MP3 from its .EXT. Once anyone receives the package, and activates it, a master program will unpack the MP3 files, and rename them back as MP3 and if necessary play them for you. Of course the whole package will need to be included in a ZIP file. So I trust the boffins who program servers’ computers can find a better way to test if MP3 etc audio files are being transmitted rather than the simple test of the .EXT of files.

At present many like me probably already rename .EXE or ,BAT or .Com files to foll server computers into accepting them as Attachmants sometimes.

Re: Anti Music Piracy

There's other ways than just the file extension to tell what type of file it is. Embedded in the beginning and end of the file are markers that state what type of file it is regardless of the name. Then there's how they're encoded. If you know enough about the encoding process, you can look for the patterns of said encoding. Then you can also just look for familiar music fingerprints.

There's many ways to detect files, however they're intensive. Besides, how can someone tell if it's illegal or not (assuming they aren't restricted by DRM)? You create a unique song, turn it into an MP3, and send it to a friend (and if you want to get technical, you could have it covered by a Creative Commons license). They detect a song not in their DB, flag it, ISP nails you... for doing nothing wrong?
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

If the zip is password protected the file analyzer would fail and then either block the file because it doesn't allow unanalyzed files or let it pass (probably more likely because there's definitely going to be files it can't analyze). If the compression archive isn't protected then it will likely be opened and scanned - and like Wired said file types, regardless of extension have a signature to how they're structured and can be identified no matter the extension.

Same deal on a file that has been encrypted, there's no way to inspect the file.
      Last edited by ahinson; 13th February 2008, 03:52.
      Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Personally I am in favour of Pirate music. I like the Yo ho ho and a nice sheeps bum (or something that sounds similar)
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks for the information.

Also there is a way to overcome DRM or sites allowing you to listen to music but not download it.
          Last edited by GordonSweet; 13th February 2008, 11:10.

Comment

Given:
            a) Petri's very public status and
            b) Our position on Warez etc.
            this thread is straying onto dangerous ground.

Please keep this topic to discussion of the ethics (?) of piracy / banning same and NOT on methods of circumventing copy protection etc.
            Gordon, you may want to edit your post immediately above this?

This is for our own safety, not because I'm a killjoy :evillaugh:
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by GordonSweet View Post
              Also there is a way to overcome DRM or sites allowing you to listen to music but not download it.
              Yes and yes.

Ultimately anything you see / hear on your computer can be saved / modified outside of the owner's control, as it ultimately comes out to your screen / speakers in an uncontrolled format. However, new technology is coming out to change this (and yes, there's hardware workarounds already).

High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection

Comment

Working...
              X