Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portable 5-bay Sata Raid

Hello World,

I am a software engineer for a small firm. Building my first (production quality) server and had some hardware questions. We are planning on this box being the first Windows 2k3 server running SBS. We plan on it doing nothing but serving files. The demand is pretty low. We have 15 clients but only 5 which are really putting any real demands. However, these 5 clients are mission critical so fault tolerance and down-time are critical. In addition, the current server is Windows NT which will remain the PDC so login and profile information won't be a strain.

I have been researching different hard-disk configurations. Ideally we would like to keep the OS and Data separated. So what I have been thinking is a raid1 for the OS and a raid1 the data files. My justification for this that keeping the data separate from the OS allows for an easy rebuild of the server on corruption.

So as I was researching different options I came along this:

Link to product info site.
    It has 5 sata bay drives which are all hot swappable. It connects via Firewire and has many raid configurations available. Any of the bay drives can be designated as a backup drive to rebuild an array on disk failure.

I showed this to my manager how instantly fell in love with the idea. His main points of interest is that in a worst case scenario where the server fails we can unplug the HD-unit and plug it into another box.

I did some research out there and didn't find allot of competitors or even a mainstream brand name carrying this type of solution ... which makes me think that it is not common.

So the main question I have is: Has anyone used this type of solution before? If so, did it work well? Any suggestions and/or recommendations are greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Ossian; 12th February 2008, 22:23. Reason: EDITED LINK TO FIX ERROR

Re: Portable 5-bay Sata Raid

Operating Systems Supported: MacOS X, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Sun/Solaris, Linux, and others to be announced
    make sure that NT is gonna fly with this unit. how do you plan on connecting it to the server?

im not knockin anything here, but NT is pretty old, which just makes me wonder: is the hardware that old also? if so, make sure you have USB 2.0 support.

otherwise, your probably the best person to answer this question. if you are serious, call the manufacturer and see if they have a demo model you can sample for a week or so. verify it meets your needs and will work for what you envisioned it to do...

if so, then proceed with your plan.

good luck!
    J
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Oh, I am sorry, I may have miscommunicated. The unit will be connecting to the Windows Server 2003, the new server that I am building.

Comment

no, i probably misread.

id say go for it. looks pretty full featured compared to the alternatives...

whats the price for this box?
        its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
        Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

FYI, Infrant also makes devices like this. Got one @ work, works great. They were recently acquired by Netgear.
          ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Wired View Post
            FYI, Infrant also makes devices like this. Got one @ work, works great. They were recently acquired by Netgear.
            How are you backing up?

Originally posted by James Haynes View Post
            no, i probably misread.
            id say go for it. looks pretty full featured compared to the alternatives...
            whats the price for this box?
            I haven't called for a quote yet but most competitors are around $900 to $1500 depending. Some include the disks while others do not.

Comment

What are the specifications of the server you want to build? Have you bought it already?
              You say this box connects through FireWire. Does your server has a Firewire input? Or you will need to buy a card for it? I saw that it has USB also, and from the brochure I understand it's USB 2.0.
              What is the volume of data you expect?
              I am asking all this to see if you really need an external solution, as for now I am not convinced of that ....

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
              -

Comment

Originally posted by Kermingle View Post
                How are you backing up?
                We're using it for extra storage pretty much, RAID 5. For backups we have an LTO3 tape drive from Dell.
                ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
                  What are the specifications of the server you want to build? Have you bought it already?
                  You say this box connects through FireWire. Does your server has a Firewire input? Or you will need to buy a card for it? I saw that it has USB also, and from the brochure I understand it's USB 2.0.
                  What is the volume of data you expect?
                  I am asking all this to see if you really need an external solution, as for now I am not convinced of that ....
                  Haven't bought the server yet. I am still going through and selecting parts and such. I plan on booting the OS off the on-board sata raid controller. The mobo I've been eyeing has both eSata and Firewire and all the rest of the standard stuff.

The volume of data ... the most important and highly used is about 1.5GB of dbf data. The most accessed data is around 2 to 10 MB. These files are not big but accessed quite often. A large bulk of the data is history files. However, I know that once we have more room available the amount of data collection is going to grow very quickly. My local testing environment is already about ten percent larger just because of anticipating more room.

The goal of the external solution is low amount of downtime in the event of a failure.

Comment

Haven't bought the server yet. I am still going through and selecting parts and such. I plan on booting the OS off the on-board sata raid controller. The mobo I've been eyeing has both eSata and Firewire and all the rest of the standard stuff.
                    Are you going for a brand (HP, DELL, IBM) or something custom?

The volume of data ... the most important and highly used is about 1.5GB of dbf data. The most accessed data is around 2 to 10 MB.
                    The smallest drive that this machine gets is 73GB, meaning a full device will have some 290GB (if you'll set the disks as RAID5). Isn't this too much, for data that looks like 1% of its volume?

The goal of the external solution is low amount of downtime in the event of a failure.
                    Here it is important to know what server are you buying. And why do you think that the server will fail more often than the external storage?
                    Let's think of it for a second. Let's say the new server will fail. You have the storage, but no server to connect it to. The old NT is not an option. So, you go to the store and buy a new server, as identical as the first that is possible, and connect the storage to it. Is this the scenario you look at when considering external storage? Do you think that this will take less time than, let's say, buying (or lending one - I do that from my suppliers when the need arise) an empty server and moving the internal disks from the bad one to the new one? And do you really think it will take less time than it will take to replace the faulty part that took the server offline?
                    If you need an external storage device, why not go for some NAS solution? Unless you want that 2003 server that bad... Or, given the amount of data you're talking about, I would take an 8GB DOK and stick it into the server.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                    -

Comment

I would spend the money on a higher end server with a hot swappable hard drive backplane in the front, that would support more drives.

the general idea is raid1 for the OS and raid5 (or raid6) for the data.
                      ________
                      FORD CROWN VICTORIA
                      Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:04.
                      Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Working...
                      X