Power Extension Boards

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Extension Boards

I hope some involved in the PC accessories industry is reading this.

Is not about time manufacturers of the necessary power extension boards for PCs ( often with both power and phone surge protection ), produced some whereby the master switch, essential to turn off ALL the power, was situated on a long lead, that could be kept well away from all the hidden mains cables. The lead to the master switch need only be of fairly small wire since there must be a variety of relays, thyristors etc requiring only a very small amount of power to activate and control the mains power.

Perhaps some manufacture has already had the sense to market such remote controlled boards, if so I have never seen them advertised.

Re: Power Extension Boards

Make a drawing as I can make no sense of what you are trying to describe. Ta.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I think he's talking about a "mains extension block" -- single plug with 4 or more sockets on the end of a short cable. Normally these have a power switch in the "block" but he wants a power switch at the end of an additional length of cable thus:

Plug------------Lots of Sockets----------------------------------------Power switch

Most cabling can then hide behind your desk with the switch visible on the top for easy access
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

In this scenario the switch where the plug is inserted into the wall would do the trick.

I get the feeling an extra cable is wanted to run from the power board that has the ability to turn the board on and off from this extra cable.
        Sounds real messy and that is why the request for a drawing.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

If you know nothing about relays or Triacs or Thyristors I doubt whether a drawing would be of the slightest help to explain this to you. Ask any electronic engineer and he will explain to control any equipment, even using a massive amount of power, such as all the lighting etc in a Cinema or Theatre, you do not need to run heavy duty cables a long way to the control boxes. Something like a relay etc will switch on / off anything whatever power is need, but you only need a very low voltage and current using small wires to control the relay.

So for any PC equipment you can hide the multi power extension board anywhere behind all the equipment, then use a small thin cable to a small switch on your desk to turn the all your equipment on or off.

Comment

Originally posted by GordonSweet
            ......then use a small thin cable to a small switch on your desk to turn the all your equipment on or off.
            See, as I suspected. All this does is add more cables to a cable cluttered desk and a "small thin cable" is just something else that will break and bring your system to a complete halt untill you clamber under your desk and replace the defected device.

Sorry, in my world this is an unwanted item.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

It sounds to me like Gordon is talking about managed power, which has been around for eons. Have a look at the following link and please correct me if I misunderstood.

http://www.apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=70

Comment

maybe he is talking about one of these
                http://www.drillspot.com/products/12...ise_Suppressor
                Sorry I could not find company page.
                "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

I am afraid you are missing the whole point.

Whilst I admit it involves one TINY extra cable to a TINY switch on your desk near the PC, it would ELIMINATE the need for umpteen thick cables on your desk to the wreteched Power Extention board where the master swith is normally located. Also avoiding the need of having to bend dowm to turn it all off on the floor or the mains socket.

I have solved the problem by routing the master mains cable to say an old 24 Amp mains switch from the old BBC Computers. But it seldom lasts long before burning out the contacts, and still needs heavy mains cable on the desk.

The example you provided is far to expensive, big and cumbersome for Home use.

Comment

Working...
                  X