Print Sharing on Standby

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Print Sharing on Standby

I have two computers on a home network running XP. When both are active the printing works fine, but when the computer connected directly to the printer is put on standby the other computer will not print. Is there a way i can leave the computer with the printer attached on standby so that when I return to my session the printing will come through. I had it working this way previously but one of the computers lost connection so i had to reinstall the software and i do not know how i got it to print after returning from standby.
    Any help is appreciated

Have a look in the BIOS of the "standby" machine and see if you are able to set it to wake up when you use the parallel port (assuming the printer is not a USB device).
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

yes it is a parallel port, but I do not know how to access BIOS could someone tell me or direct me to a website that could give me step by step instructions.
      Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by keevo5544
        yes it is a parallel port, but I do not know how to access BIOS could someone tell me or direct me to a website that could give me step by step instructions.
        Thanks
        When your computer boots up, it will have a name/brand that appears somewhere (with my few computers, it's Compaq, AOpen, Pheonix, etc), have a google for "<insert brand here> access bios", this should bring yopu back with a list of pages that should give you tips on getting into the bios.

The standard way to access the bios is when the computer first turns on, it will do a POST (Power On Self Test), and at the bottom of the screen 9/10 times it will say "press DEL to access bios settings", this is how you get in.

On less standard computers, it could be F10, Del, F1, ALT + F1, ALT + DEL, Alt + ESC, Ctrl + F8.

The above are the ones I have experienced myself, but there are probably many others as well, so as you can see, it's not as easy as just saying "press this and that" to get into the bios.

Also, as you dont sound familiar with the Bios on your computer, it might be an idea to do a little reading up on the features in the bios, and what some of the settings do, because if you muck something up in the bios, you might be in for a very difficult fault finding session, best thing is if your not sure what the function does, leave it as default or at it's current setting, that way it wont cause you headaches in the long term.

B.

Comment

Working...
        X