Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Symantec Server Group password again....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Symantec Server Group password again....

Hi,

My first post on this board, and I'm already asking for help. Sorry about that, but I'm really desperate. Hopefully, in the future I'll be able to help others too.

I need to reset the password for a symantec antivirus Corporate edition group server.

I have read the threads (http://forums.petri.com/showthread.p...admin+password) in the forum, and I have used the iforgot.exe. The problem is that it does not reset the password any more. It just gives me the encrypted version.

I have the encrypted password, but now I have the stupidest problem on earth, namely how the heck do I get in touch with Symantec (and what part of Symantec) to get the password decrypted?????

I searched the whole symantec site, and found a phone number, but I just was on hold with them for 45 minutes without any one answering the phone, and I'm not even sure that's the right phone number.

Does anyone have/Can anyone post an email address to which I could send that encrypted password and get it decrypted?

The alternative would be is someone could give me a walk around so that I wouldn't have to spend the rest of my life on the phone, desperately trying to speak with Symantec.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by ITByTheSea; 23rd January 2008, 21:15.

Re: Symantec Server Group password again....

Try 800-927-4017.

And hold times are supposed to be long, its what Symantec does best......

I do not think you will find an email service to decrypt it, that would defeat the whole purpose.
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Thanks for the phone number, Lior_S. we'll try that ASAP.

I guess I wasn't clear in my last post. Sorry about that.

What I meant was the email address of the Symantec Department that deals with that. I imagine they have a specific Department for that, even though they're Symantec...

I can understand no non-Symantec email service would do the decrypting, but I must say I don't really see the purpose of password protecting the virus definition updates.

Comment

I don't think they have a department just for passwords, but that number should get you to the right group anyway, You will need all the original purchase info too, have that close when you call. Its been a while since I have called them (thankfully), but I do not think much has changed.
        The theory behind the password is to block a virus from getting into the server config and disabling the system thus allowing other viruses to populate.
        "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Don't know if this will help or not but it is worth a look.

http://www.newagedigital.com/cgi-bin...-password.html
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks for the link, biggles77.

I'll try that this morning. Otherwise I guess I'll just have to uninstall and reinstall. Last night, we finally got in touch with Symantec, but even though we do have the Serial, and the data of the buyer, they would not decrypt the password for us because we do not have the full information of the actual person who first ordered it in 2004!!! Gotta love symantec! NOT!LOL

Comment

um, I think you will need the password to uninstall............unless you have NONAV
              If biggles' link does not work call the sales department at symantec and see if you can leach out the original purchase info, it will take some skill.
              Tell them you are thinking of upgrading

Comment

Thanks for the answer.

I have NONAV and the Norton Removal Tool on my jump drive. I also have a print out of the instructions for manual removal I found here:
                http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...pen&dtype=corp

Hopefully, one of the three will do the trick. I am going to do it tomorrow because the office will be empty. I will let you know what works.

Comment

If you have it so readily available, surely you know the risk of NONAV, right?
                  Just asking.

Comment

Actually, I just downloaded it after reading the posts here. I usually use the Norton Removal Tool, but I thought having two tools with me might be better than having only one...

Can you elaborate on the risks? I googled it, but did not find anything specific.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Its one of those tools that symantec put together but does not support or advocate. Its a last ditch tool. I have never had any problems but if you are working on a production server you need to know that it is not perfect.
                      Not to be an alarmist, but the reward must outweigh the risk.
                      You'll note that nonav is not available on the official symantec site, and barely referenced in the knowledge base

Comment

Thanks, Lior_S.

I'll guess I'll only use it as a last resort.

I always make sure that all the backups are up to date and working before I play with a production server anyway. Like you, never had any problem but... I don't ever want to be sorry I didn't check.

Comment

I know your wanting a global reset but if you just want to uninstall it from one computer you can do the following...

Search the registry for the value name "UseVPUninstallPassword" and change the value from 1 to 0.
                          Attempt to uninstall again.

This will remove the password prompt when uninstalling.
                          Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

Also, when uninstalling from a single client the default uninstall password is "symantec", without the quotes.

Comment

Thanks for the answers.

I got to the client's place and found out that his real problem was that the definitions were not updating. He thought it was because of the password, hence the whole password issue.

I could see no reason why the updates should be password protected, so I started checking the settings on the server. Found out that it had no default gateway!!!!!

I set up the default gateway, and the definitions updated very nicely.

Things to learn from the experience: NEVER believe that what the client says is the problem really is LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X