Licensing in a non-production environment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Licensing in a non-production environment

I will be building a 3 server 2 client lab for simply testing updates, software installations etc;...my question is
    Do I need to follow the same Microsoft licensing protocol as if I were using the servers in production?
    Last edited by itpro; 17th January 2008, 18:52.
    ITPro
    MCSE, CCNA

Re: Licensing in a non-production environment

Yes.

You could either use 180 day eval versions which will give you a good 6 months worth of testing or perhaps look into a technet subscription:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/bb309322.aspx

Hope this helps

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

IMHO go for Technet Plus, as Michael said -- currently 188 (c. $380) in the UK -- full "non-commercial use" licenses for almost every single MS product

If you ever want to try out Sharepoint Enterprise Search ($50K list price) this is your chance!
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

You can also become a Microsoft Registered Partner and subscribe to the Microsoft Action Pack.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
          You can also become a Microsoft Registered Partner and subscribe to the Microsoft Action Pack.
          This will give you 10 "for commercial use" licenses to a limited range of software (standard, not enterprise editions, for example) and has to be renewed each year. Cost to me is 200 ($400 ish). Also those kind people at Micro$oft are not content with taking your money, you must now pass an on-line exam in selling MS products to renew (and presumably subscribe).

A final thought -- if the OP is using Server 2003 Enterprise R2, I believe the license now allows one physical and four? virtual installations per copy
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I'm looking at our action pack now and see plenty of enterprise editions in it. (office 2007 enterprise, windows server 2008 enterprise beta, sbs 2003 premium, OLC enterprise, etc.) You don't get the enterprise edition for each product but you do get it for some of them. Also, I believe the annual test is for certified and gold partners only and not registered partners. Also, the action pack eula clearly states it is for internal use only.

Comment

Unfortunately the annual test is for registered partners-- well discussed on the partner boards! and https://partner.microsoft.com/40044196 Certified and Gold partners get a different pack -- like the AP but free (or included in their 1000 pa fee)

Should have said "Enterprise servers" -- so 2K3 Standard, SQL Standard, Exchange Standard etc. Yes, Office is "Enterprise" but Vista is only Business Upgrade, not Ultimate. Havent looked at 2008, but since it is the beta, they're probably very free with Enterprise!

Internal use translates into "use it in the registered partner business only - not for resale". You can use the AP to run an operational exchange setup, wheras technet allows an evaluation setup only.

Still damn good value -- I get both which keeps everyone happy, except my accountant.
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

Working...
              X