two versions of sql

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• two versions of sql

I have a machine that run Backup Exec 11d and an Application for security device that uses SQL.

BE 11d installs SQL 2005 (to Program Files)
    and other application installs SQL 7 in C:\

Both coexisted for some time... Computer failed. I change the machine.

My question:
    Are there any negative sides of having two versions of SQL on the same machine?

The Application (was designed for SQL7) cannot use SQL 2005.
    The Application doesn't run at the same time as BE and used very rare.

Thx.
    "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Re: two versions of sql

You can install multiple instances of the database version on one computer, but you may only install one instance of client tools.
    MCSA 2000/2003

Comment

Please clarify.
      As I mentioned both ran well.

Just because I reinstall the machine and have an option to separate both applications I asked the question in previous post.

Again it's Backupup Exec 11d and application that I access on the same machine with gui.
      "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Comment

You can run both versions of SQL. If you need to install any SQL management tools then install SQL2005 Express Edition Management Studio. It's free to download and use and it can manage SQL versions 7, 2000, and 2005 (also MSDE).

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
          X