Segate External Hard Drive How to test it

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Segate External Hard Drive How to test it

I have got an external segate hard drive that connected to my laptop through USB cable, I doubt that there is a problem, then I decided to test it by using : Segate seatool utility (windows version not dos version) that I have downloaded from segate site.

I can see the external hard drive :
    http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/7...utilitysd3.jpg

But the test option is unavailable!!!!

Is there any other utility that can test such a USB connected HD ?

I knew that we can connect faulty hard disk directly to the mother and then run the test from CD or floppy, but this is not feasible in my case

Re: Segate External Hard Drive How to test it

Isn't there anything on the disk that can help??

I can't say for definate about the Seagate drive but the Western Digital drive i have comes with diags.

Comment

Isn't there anything on the disk that can help??
      I am not sure if I understood your question,,,could you please let me know what you meant ?

Comment

Originally posted by zillah View Post
        I am not sure if I understood your question,,,could you please let me know what you meant ?
        wullieb meant that WD disks come with diagnostics tool. Maybe Seagate has them too (on the drivers' CD or on the disk itself).
        Anyway, you got the Seagate tools installed. But why did you stop in the middle? By clicking the down arrow by the Basic Tests menu you'll get another menu, that among other things contains two tests: short and long. Go for it. It worked for me
        Another thing: could you share with us why do you think there is a problem with your disk, and how do you connect it to your computer? (I know its USB, but what device does this? An external cage? A plain IDE/SATA-to-USB converter? Does it have its own power cord?)
        Attached Files

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

the Basic Tests menu you'll get another menu, that among other things contains two tests: short and long. Go for it. It worked for me
          Is your segate HD connected to the PC via USB cable as well ? or directly ? because it did not work when I tried both options

could you share with us why do you think there is a problem with your disk,
          I can hear unusual noise coming from the drive (clicking)

and how do you connect it to your computer?
          It is the one that I housed in a caddy, and connected through USB cable , similar to the one below
          http://www.allcam.biz/images/diy_01.jpg

Comment

Is your segate HD connected to the PC via USB cable as well ?
            No, my drive is IDE, connected directly to the IDE bus.
            I can hear unusual noise coming from the drive (clicking)
            This is (usually) a sign of a physical problem with the disk's mechanics. The disk should be dead already, if you still have luck, you might manage to get the info from inside ...
            What did you mean by
            it did not work when I tried both options
            ?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

it did not work when I tried both options
              Short test and long test.

Comment

I would disconnect the hard disk from the USB cage and try to connect it directly to a computer and see if you're lucky or not.
                At this point, I would get an experienced technician to handle the disk, unless you can afford to loose the data on the disk.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
                X