Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hotmail account PDF, DOC Files opening up

Hello,
    I sure hope someone knows the answer on this?
    I have 2003 enterprise server running with Group Policy. I allow no downloads on the machines and have removed almost every item except for internet explorer and office icons on the desktop. Almost all items are removed from the taskbar being public computers. I would like users to view pdf and documents from hotmail accounts but that requires the file to be downloaded. I have wrecked my brain trying to figure out how to keep the computer safe and still allow pdf and doc files to be viewed in internet explorer. If the user sends those files to yahoo account they are able to open and view those files.
    My question to anyone is there a way to view pdf and doc files in internet explorer from attachments from hotmail accounts? And can that be set in policy to allow those files only to viewed without downloading?
    Thanks for any information.

Re: Hotmail account PDF, DOC Files opening up

If these are public computers running Windows XP, you could look into using SteadyState which is freely available from Microsoft.

Comment

Hello joeqwerty yes they are all windows xp professional.
      The policy that is on the machine actually has frozen or hidden almost everything on the machine. The only thing clients can see is internet explorer and office icons which are placed on the desktop.
      It has been working great no lapses or breaches in security, antivirus is hidden. so clients basically have a dumb secure machine locked down via policy, which is stable. I am almost wondering if it can be solved by group policy before adding additional items to the system such as the windows toolkit/steady state which is not something I would rule out if it came to that. I do question how it can be opened in yahoo mail via internet explorer but it cannot be opened in hotmail via internet explorer very strange.

Comment

The thing about steadystate is that it can be used to "lock down" the machine even with allowing the download of attachements and then you can reboot the machine to restore it's clean state. It may make managing the computer easier since you wouldn't have to worry about any downloaded files, they would get wiped out on a reboot.

Comment

Working...
        X