Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• array status: offline

Hi,
    I have a problem with RAID 1. Server IBM 206M. Hotswap SATA.
    2 drives. 3.4Ghz 1GB

2003 Standard Server was installed using IBM setup CD.
    All latest drivers were installed (from the CD).
    Installation was done a month ago. Server worked fine. Today installed Application. During configuration server was restarted few times.
    Run 100% OK.
    After proper shutdown and phisically moving server from one room to another server not booting.
    Array status: offline.

Raid utility (CTRL+A) detects 2 drives configured in mirror.

What to do with this OFFLINE status?
    Delete the mirror? Will it delete all the data or just will brake the mirror.

I didn't run SERV Raid CD. May be it's better for fixing my problem?

Thanks,
    Michael.
    "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Re: array status: offline

IMHO, talking to IBM support is probably the first thing you should do!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ossian,
      I tried this option. There are some issues. Long story.
      Server is still under warranty but it next business day and there are some weird conditions. What is strange that they do not provide phone support. Long story.

Hope somebody can explain Array Status: Offline. I found some explanation on Sun. They explain how to use their utilities.

Thanks,
      Michael.
      "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Comment

As Ossian advised you should stick closely with IBMs support contract in order to avoid violating any of their terms but from what you've said so far it may be that you've upset it during its move, were you present when the server got moved and is it possible its taken a knock?

If opening the server dosn't void your service agreement (triple check this) then open it up and check all physical connections specifically with regards to your HDs.

What was the application you installed recently?

Comment

Have you tried unplugging / replugging all the drives?
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

The server was purchased without HD. It still has 2 years warranty.
            HDs are not IBM. Since it's storage issue they may refuse support(but may be not). The story that I cannot get phone support. A tech will come next business day.
            But probably he will call before comming for phone troubleshooting.

Anyway I will be onsite only tomorrow (form now backup server running the same application but with some data losses (couple of entries- but important )
            I downloaded ServeRaid disk. It may diagnose more presizely...

The server was moved from the table under other table in the same room.
            WAS not dropped BUt something happened.

Can you tell what will happen if I will delete the Mirror?
            Would it wipe the disk?
            I think if I can delete the mirror and point to the drive for boot may be it will work?

Don't want to lose the machine. Before configuring Raid I checked drives with IBM utilities. It was OK. Maximum I have to rerun everything. But probably I will call IBM
            after my verification.

Thx.

Comment

should be some kind of a "force online" option in the controller's setup. but I'd be VERY careful about that one, especially with SATA
              ________
              No2 Vaporizer
              Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:00.
              Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

I will double check this whole story again...
                What is clear that for some reson the controller put Array offline.
                But disks are well detected.
                In the Array config utility no option for forcing Online. Even if there is something
                you do not recommend to force...
                It means that there is other righ way.
                I burned DIAG disk for the server so will see. BTW Turn on option could appear in
                this utility.

Thanks,
                Michael.

Comment

The server was rebuild.
                  All phisical components were changed by IBM.

The END

Comment

Working...
                  X