Compressed file and folder sizes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compressed file and folder sizes

Is anyone aware of a tool (NOT Windows Explorer) which will quickly, quietly and without fuss tell me the uncompressed size of the (compressed) data on a volume or series of volumes on a server?

We need to migrate a multi-drive file server from an old, slow, fragmented platform to a shiny new 64-bit R2 box; but the 2.8Tb of storage it's currently using across several volumes has all the data compressed so we will need considerably more on the new box which will not be compressed. If we try this using Windows Explorer each top-level folder on an individual volume takes several hours to build its size data; Windows Compression makes capacity planning and business continuity planning a nightmare!

So - a tool which will quickly tell me the uncompressed data size for a volume would be a godsend...

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Re: Compressed file and folder sizes

Anyone....?

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Comment

Hi,

How is Diruse for you.........?

http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true

Regards,
      Kapil Sharma
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Life is too short, Enjoy It.

Comment

Never heard of it until now - I'm just trying it. Thanks Kapil!

Tom

Comment

%windir%\system32\compact.exe /S /A "d:\*"

(you could add: | Find "byte" to the command line for 'per folder summery' only)

(You can script this command line tool too in several ways for several purposes.
          http://groups.google.com/group/micro...569cd9ae96367b)

\Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
          and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Originally posted by Rems View Post
            %windir%\system32\compact.exe /S /A "d:\*"

(you could add: | Find "byte" to the command line for 'per folder summery' only)

(You can script this command line tool too in several ways for several purposes.
            http://groups.google.com/group/micro...569cd9ae96367b)

\Rems
            Thanks Rems... can you please summarise for me what this command will actually do with those options?

Tom

Comment

Disktective will also do the trick
              Check NTFSRatio too ...
              Both are freewares ...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
              -

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
                Thanks Rems... can you please summarise for me what this command will actually do with those options?
                Compact.exe /?
                "Displays and alters the compression of files or directories on NTFS volumes"

This utility is included in the Windows source files.
                Arguments:
                /C - Compresses the specified files. Directories will be marked so that files added afterward will be compressed.

/V - Uncompresses the specified files. Directories will be marked so that files added afterward will not be compressed.

/S - Performs the specified operation on files in the given directory and in all subdirectories. Default "dir" is the current directory.

/A - Displays files with the hidden or system attributes. These files are omitted by default.

/I - Continues performing the specified operation even after errors have occurred. By default, Compact.exe stops when an error is encountered.

/F - Forces the compress operation on all specified files, even those which are already compressed. Already-compressed files are skipped by default.

/Q - Reports only the most essential information.

filename - Specifies a pattern, file, or directory.

'show summary only' batch:
                Code:
                :://///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
                :: Compact.exe, (Windows 2000 resource kit tool)
                :: By default installed on Windows XP, Windows server 2003, and newer.
                :: (This utility works only on an NTFS volume)
                ::
                :: Displays and alters the compression of files or directories on NTFS volumes.
                :: - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314958
                ::
                :://///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

@echo off & title,Compact.exe

::Enter directoryname\*, path\filename or file pattern
                (Set $Target=D:\*)

(echo.Size un-compressed and Size on disk)
                (echo.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------)
                echo.summary of "%$Target%"
                echo.

For /f "tokens=*" %%i in ('%windir%\system32\compact.exe /S /A /Q "%$Target%" ^|Findstr/i "bytes"') Do (
                echo.%%i) &echo.&echo.&echo.

pause
                The batch can take quite a while to finish on large directories!
                Compact is processing each file separately.

\Rems
                Last edited by Rems; 4th January 2008, 10:24.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
                and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Working...
                X