No announcement yet.

Recommendations for Helpdesk software?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for Helpdesk software?

I'm starting a consultancy project with a multi-national company, about 1000 staff across 6 main sites -- all English speaking

I am looking for recommendations for helpdesk software to allow:
    Users to log support calls
    Local / remote IT staff to respond
    Users / Management to view call progress
    Statistics for call response etc.

Also any general advice on setting up / running a helpdesk on this scale would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Recommendations for Helpdesk software?

How about the Helpdesk module in SharePoint. It is a bit limiting but could be modified and it is idiot proof.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hows your linux skills?

We use RT (Request Tracker) and cant really fault it. But I never set it up so I dont know how difficult it is

http://bestpractical.com/index.html

Michael
      Michael Armstrong
      www.m80arm.co.uk
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

We use Liberum here.

It's free and if your any good with ASP its very customizable.

http://www.liberum.org

Comment

All sound good, guys, although I might stay away from the Linux one due to lack of appropriate skill set! As I will be setting up a sharepoint based intranet, that may be the way to go.

No reason it has to be free -- the company are fairly good on buying stuff.

Thanks, any more ideas still gratefully received!
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I've used Ambercat, Track-it, and OnTime. There are also several that create help desk related Public Folders in Exchange with autoresponders, etc.

Comment

I've used Ambercat in the past and been underwhelmed -- too much setup and fiddling with it.

The Exchange ones sound interesting as there is already an Exchange 2003 (standard) infrastructure, with PFs totally unused

Tom
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

http://www.kalmstrom.nu/products/Outlook/PFHelpDesk/

http://www.crowcanyon.com/products/products.asp

Comment

Until few weeks ago, I too used a folder in Exchange 2003 Public Folders for HelpDesk. The folder had an SMTP address attached to it and the users filled a simple web form that sent e-mails to it (the folder). A rule replied with an automatic message to let the users know their request arrived.
                  The system had its drawbacks, especially on the statistics' side. Being plain messages, was impossible to know how long took a problem to solve or how many problems had a specific station.
                  Being in the academy, we had two students from the Management Information Systems Department write a dedicated web application for us, as their final project.
                  Another thing: if I understood right, there is no such thing Public Folders in Exchange2007. So, one should take this in consideration while building his/hers systems based on Public Folders. One day, the system will be upgraded...
                  Last edited by sorinso; 22nd December 2007, 21:27. Reason: more info added...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                  -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
                    Another thing: if I understood right, there is no such thing Public Folders in Exchange2007. So, one should take this in consideration while building his/hers systems based on Public Folders. One day, the system will be upgraded...
                    Are you sure about that -- MS seem to suggest that PFs are in 2K7 and will be supported for at least 10 years http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/20...20/419994.aspx
                    Last edited by Ossian; 24th December 2007, 09:42.
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

No, I'm not... And it looks like I was wrong...
                      I attended few weeks ago a course about MOSS, and the "teacher" said that it will be a great replacement for Public Folders, that will not be available starting Exchange2007.
                      Well, I'm going for that hat I used to take bites from from time to time

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                      -

Comment

You also may consider hp openview.
                        Marcel
                        Technical Consultant
                        Netherlands
                        http://www.phetios.com
                        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

You can try PerlDesk - you can use that either as a remote hosted or internal solution.

Comment

Thanks for all your replies -- all much appreciated.

In the end I have gone for NetHelpDesk Pro as it is scalable from Access to SQL Server and runs under native IIS without having to install Perl addins. Only wierd thing is that the submission by email is using POP3 and will not pick up directly from Exchange

I'll let you know how it goes in anger!
                            Tom Jones
                            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                            IT Trainer / Consultant
                            Ossian Ltd
                            Scotland

Comment

I have used Hesk for a bit now and I swear by it.
                              Written in PHP and runs in MySQL database.

Some of the PROs
                              • FREE
                              • unlimited personalized accounts for staff
                              • unlimited categories
                              • canned responses
                              • file attachments
                              • custom fields in the "Submit a ticket" form
                              • anti-SPAM security image when submitting a ticket
                              • powerful ticket search functions
                              • e-mail notifications of new tickets and replies
                              • easy-to-use web interface
                              • easy to translate to any language
                              • and much more!

Some of the CONs
                              • Not much reporting capabilities

and this is the only downside i can think of right now.

Have a look at the implementations in Google
                              Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
                              X