Unable to terminate process PcAnywhere 12.1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to terminate process PcAnywhere 12.1

Just sharing this because it has been bothering me for weeks and I found a fix today. Our support staff users PCAnywhere to remotely control our client's workstations to fix issues. Some of them have been experiencing the following issue.

If PCAnywhere crashes, the following processes will not terminate using task manager.

awrem32.exe
    winaw32.exe
    sessioncontroller.exe

I've attempted to close the processes using task manager on many occasions in the past and received a message "Unable to terminate the process." "Access denied.", I didn't have time to drill down into the issue so rebooting was faster than finding out why.

Today, I had time to investigate. I used process explorer to attach to the process to get more information and was alerted by Symantec AV that an application was attempting to tamper with its files. The tamper protection built-in to the AV was the issue. For some reason it is confused and thinks that the processes belonging to PCAnywhere are AV application processes even though they're not. Disabling tamper protection seems to be the only obvious solution to the issue because there's no way to allow exceptions to by-pass the tamper protection.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Re: Unable to terminate process PcAnywhere 12.1

Made it sticky so it doesn't get buried down the forum. That Tamper protection in the AV sounded real good when I first installed SAV but on older machines it sure makes life difficult when trying to stop the process when it is enabled.

Thanks for that info Andrew. Process Explorer is a nifty little tool isn't it.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
      Made it sticky so it doesn't get buried down the forum. That Tamper protection in the AV sounded real good when I first installed SAV but on older machines it sure makes life difficult when trying to stop the process when it is enabled.

Thanks for that info Andrew. Process Explorer is a nifty little tool isn't it.
      I agree. It has turned out to be rather annoying.
      Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by ahinson View Post
        I agree. It has turned out to be rather annoying.
        Hi, Andrew. You're referring to Tamper Protection, or to ProjectExplorer?
        Thank you for sharing the knowledge.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
          Hi, Andrew. You're referring to Tamper Protection, or to ProjectExplorer?
          Thank you for sharing the knowledge.
          I'm referring to the SAV tamper protection. It's a novel idea, but they [Symantec] needs a better way to distinctly identify SAV processes from other Symantec products. I'm guessing that the tamper protection won't allow you to close any applications that are identified as Symantec processes.

As far as I can tell they're using the digital signature applied to the exe when the code was signed.
          Andrew

Comment

10nx, Andrew, I was joking.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

He's lying Andrew, Vulcans do not have a sense of humor. (Ever tried telling one a joke)
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Of course Vulcans don't have sense of humour. Don't forget Spock was only half-Vulcan.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
                X