Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to match users to computers (was 2 Questions)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to match users to computers (was 2 Questions)

hi every body
    i have two Q

first :
    generally in any AD we have alot of users and computer account

how can i know that userX logon to machineY?
    or
    how can i know that MachineY are dedicated to userX

Second Q is not related to AD Section,
    but i kniw that pro administrator always check this section, the Q is " can i create Secure FTP Site" by certificate or SSL or other ways
    thanks alot

Re: 2 Questions

1. There is no easy way. The options include, but are not limited to, configuring LimitLogin (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tec...litySpotlight/) or having a logon script update some sort of database or text file.

2.There is no such thing "dedicated". Please explain what information do you want to extract and for what purposes.

3. Please use "Misc" forum.
    Guy Teverovsky
    "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Not sure whether you're looking for present or past logons, but you can use this little script called Who Domain for a list of users and the computer that they are currently logged in to. It is a modification of the PsloggedOn script from SysInternals.com

Happy Hunting!
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by guyt View Post
        2.There is no such thing "dedicated". Please explain what information do you want to extract and for what purposes.
        thank you Guyt,
        i will explain what i want "some times clientX call me that he have An Issue, i need to know computer name for many resons like i want to RDP to client machine,
        but in AD computer name are like this standard "computer01, computer 02, and so on" also user don't know how to get computer name, so my Q was how to know the computer name if this user while i know that he logon name is userX

Comment

there are more topics about this.
          You can use bginfo on the clients or use a loginscript to redirect the userid and computername to a file.
          Marcel
          Technical Consultant
          Netherlands
          http://www.phetios.com
          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Moved to Misc forum and re-titled
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by abdalla View Post
              thank you Guyt,
              i will explain what i want "some times clientX call me that he have An Issue, i need to know computer name for many resons like i want to RDP to client machine,
              but in AD computer name are like this standard "computer01, computer 02, and so on" also user don't know how to get computer name, so my Q was how to know the computer name if this user while i know that he logon name is userX
              I don't quite understand...
              The users aren't using always the same computer? They are roaming (meaning they use different computers in different occasions)?
              My users are static (they always use the same station) and to solve this problem I wrote in the Description files of every computer the username of the employee that logs into it.
              Like Guy said, it's not quite clear what you mean by your second question... Same for the third... You need a secure way to transfer files? Are you already using an IIS server?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
              -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
                Like Guy said, it's not quite clear what you mean by your second question... Same for the third... You need a secure way to transfer files? Are you already using an IIS server?
                i think that this link explain what is need to do using MS-FTP http://www.wsftp.com/

Comment

Originally posted by abdalla View Post
                  i think that this link explain what is need to do using MS-FTP http://www.wsftp.com/
                  So, if I understand right, you need a way to transfer files (or et people upload files to you) in a secure way.
                  If this is the case, I suggest you get yourself an old PC, install any Linux you want on it and make it an FTP server, only through SCP (secure copy).
                  The same (with pros and cons) can be achieved by installing Cygwin on an Windows machine.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                  -

Comment

Re: How to match users to computers (was 2 Questions)

Abdalla,
                    You have asked this same question TWICE in two separate forums, two days apart. Didn't you read the responses for the first one?

I have reported the threads for merging. Please read the forum rules and stick to one set of posts per topic!
                    Tom Jones
                    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                    X