Is the Hard-Drive the bottle neck of a PC:

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Hard-Drive the bottle neck of a PC:

I'm going to build me a more up-to-date PC very soon .. and was wanting some feed back.

As I look around and read reviews, it appears that the hard drive seem to be the PC bottle-neck of the system.

It there any need to buy Raptor HD's or what does this forum think?

Any suggestions would be helpful.
    Later!!
    Jay

"" As Soon As Apocalypse Comes, IM me ""

Re: Is the Hard-Drive the bottle neck of a PC:

You are absolutely right. It IS the major bottle neck. Get a Raptor. A little more expensive, but worth the investment. Good luck.

Comment

if this is for a desktop, what will you be using it for? this will determine the actual 'need' for a faster HD. I use Raptors in my gaming rig and on the one I use for video editing/encoding. Do I really notice a difference? Probably not, but if fulfills my 'want' for speed. If this is just for your 'normal' desktop needs, you could easily use a less expensive option and ever'ting gwan be irie....

Comment

Either a raptor or SSD (solid state disk drive) would do the trick

You see some more performance maniacs running raid setups with raptors, but that gets expensive.

Raptors are faster drives, SSD's are faster still, the only difference is price and that they usually are smaller (35gb, 75gb are common size raptor drives - but thats plenty for an OS)

I've used two identically spec'd systems, one with a raptor and one with a normal SATA drive. There is a notable difference between the two, although I would say it is fairly comparable.

The main factor in a Pc's speed is processor / ram. A good amount of ram and a fairly decent processor will give considerable performance increases over a different hard drive

Comment

Thread is not related to Client OS.
          S moved to Misc.
          Marcel
          Technical Consultant
          Netherlands
          http://www.phetios.com
          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by switch View Post
            You are absolutely right. It IS the major bottle neck. Get a Raptor. A little more expensive, but worth the investment. Good luck.
            As a previous Raptor fan I would have agreed. However, have a read of the review and you will see the new drives not only have the capacity that far exceeds the Raptor but they are now as fast and in some cases faster. http://www23.tomshardware.com/storage.html

If you can afford it, go SCSI.

Personally I would look at RAM first (min 2 GB even for XP and 4GB for Vista), CPU (Quad core but not many apps take advantage of them) and then HDD. SATAII and stay away from RAID 0. One drive fails you lose all the data.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Good suggestion biggles77.

I would really prefer a MoBo with SCSI. SATA and IDE controllers on board but doubt I'd find a new mobo with that, DDR2 and run a Intel quad cpu.

But the wish is there

Thanks for your help.
              Later!!
              Jay

"" As Soon As Apocalypse Comes, IM me ""

Comment

get a board with a RAID controller and slap 4X40 gigs SATA II's in it, with the system drive striped across 3 and the TEMP and swap on the other 1.

it was cheap and its fast.

i have a separate RAID card for the program files...

this setup lets me have a separate RAIDed drive for all aspects of my system.

thats just how i roll.
                its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
                Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

I find a 4x SATA-II 7.2K RPM 8-16 MB cache (NCQ or not) to be almost as good as SCSI for most things.

James: Isn't your 4x40 doomed on 2 fronts? 1st is the 250-500 GB drives are much faster in normal use due to higher density (lower latency) and 2nd is the prob w/ a failure on a 3-way stripe (RAID 0 I presume or a too slow RAID 5 at the normal price point for this kind of machine).

The Intel ICHnR in RAID 1 behaves like a RAID 0 on read so you get better than expected perf. I'm using Gigabyte exclusively these days with either an extra SiS SATA RAID setup or ...

So I'd suggest 2x500 GB RAID 1 + 2x500 GB RAID 0 (my std setup these days). Split the RAID 1 into 40 GB system and 400+ GB data drives. Put temp and page / swap on the RAID 0 as it does not require recovery. Do your video, whatever you can live without on the RAID 0 and have a happy high performance life.

Due note I suggest a pair of machines set up this way w/ periodic replication of the RAID 0 contents between the machines.
                  Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

I have a 150 gig raptor as my boot drive and its nice and fast.
                    In two 75gig Partitions for Xp and Vista.

But the gap is becoming smaller with the introduction of the new large 32mb cache drives from Seagate Hitachi and samsung.

These have slower access times than the raptors but in real world situations they are near enough on par when it comes to everything else.

Plus you get more storage too.

SSD have terrible write times and are just not worth the premium.

They are only useful in laptops right now due to the power and mechanical (or lack of ) properties.
                    [email protected] 3.8ghz/Asus Maximus/8800GTS 512 MB/Ballistix 4GIG 1066 mhz/17443 3D Marks 06

Comment

Working...
                    X