Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Internet Monitoring Software - Opinions - Recommendations?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet Monitoring Software - Opinions - Recommendations?

First off, I'm very sorry for not being more specific. I just had a mandate placed on my desk to find a piece of software that can monitor, filter, and report on internet usage.

I'm looking for something that integrates with AD, has robust reporting capabilities, and can filter sites based on groups in AD.

Here are the two products I'm currently looking at.

Pearl Echo Suite(and Website Echo)
    http://www.pearlsw.com/

And Websense
    http://www.websense.com/global/en/

I'm sure there many of you use Internet monitoring software in your environments. I have almost no experience with Internet monitoring software and considering the tight deadline I'm under I would hate to overlook a great product due to lack of time.

With that said, here's my question.
    What product(s) do you use for internet monitoring/filtering/reporting and what is your opinion on them? Frankly, I'm looking for recommendations.

Again, I'm sorry for not being more specific but I'm a bit desperate considering the time crunch.
    CCA: XenApp 5.0

Re: Internet Monitoring Software - Opinions - Recommendations?

What about ISA Server?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
      What about ISA Server?
      Hmm, I guess I didn't include that because we don't need a firewall type product because we're getting a new ASA.

But...ISA does have a lot of features that otherwise would be nice to have.

Here is one thing I've seen in other products that maybe ISA does not have. A database of websites that have been pre-categorized. So we could easily block a huge swathe of adult, gambling, and even shopping sites easily.

I wonder what type of reporting ISA has?

Thanks for the suggestion Biggles! I'll definitely throw ISA into the mix.

Comment

Should have plonked this into the previous post. It may help but I don't know ISA 2006 so I can't advise if what you are wanting is in the package. Someone else will know though. They just have to read and post.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I didn't install ISA but I did look through it's feature list from M$. I've used ISA before so I'm a little familiar with it.

Doesn't look like it will fill in what we're looking for.

So far Pearl has been doing a fine job. The built in reporting is fantastic. It offers enough options to pinpoint what I'm looking for but it's not so complicated that the management people who want the software can't learn to run their own reports. It could use some more real time monitoring though.

Comment

Originally posted by bill_sffcu View Post
            Hmm, I guess I didn't include that because we don't need a firewall type product because we're getting a new ASA.

But...ISA does have a lot of features that otherwise would be nice to have.

Here is one thing I've seen in other products that maybe ISA does not have. A database of websites that have been pre-categorized. So we could easily block a huge swathe of adult, gambling, and even shopping sites easily.

I wonder what type of reporting ISA has?

Thanks for the suggestion Biggles! I'll definitely throw ISA into the mix.
            ISA is a little more work - intensive to set up for category filtering etc

We run isa 2004 here and we have written a keyword filter and 'block' list. We have also blocked attachments and flash downloading. Reporting is very useful. You can specify a unique user and see what sites they have visited, total traffic etc. ISA does not have category reporting, but does have traffic per time of day, denied user requests and the like

GFI (www.gfi.com) have products that integrate with ISA that allow more indepth catergory blocking. There is also a product from BurseTek (burseteck log analyzer) that allows more in depth reporting - it will analyze ISA logs and give website category reports so you can see what people are viewing etc.

Basically, visit www.isaserver.org and have a look in the products section to see if there is anything that you like

Your website monitoring software is only as useful as you company policies for internet traffic. If they are strict and people actually get fired for internet abuse, then you will find that there are less users willing to do the wrong thing.

Hope that goes well for you. Firewall software is very interesting and fun to configure.

Comment

Working...
            X