Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quad Core PC specs - What do you think

Hi Guys,

I'm not up to date with current hardware specs so just want your advice on the following:

* Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q6600 Quad Core Processor(2.4GHz,8MB Cache,1066MHz)
    * Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium Edition
    * Digital / Analogue TV Tuner PCI Card
    * New MESH Midi-TowerATX Case + 550W PSU
    * PCI-Express Mainboard - SLI nForce 650i SLI(C55) - Intel Core 2 Duo/Quad-Core - ATX
    * 4GB DDR2 667MHz Memory -( 4x 1GB )
    * 500GB Serial ATA Hard Drive with 16MB Buffer
    * LightScribe Super Format 18x Dual Layer DVD Writer +R/-R/RW/RAM
    * 256MB nVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS - DVI, HDTV, TV-Out
    * 19" Widescreen LCD TFT Display with internal speakers
    * 5.1 High Definition onboard sound card - 6 Channel Cinema sound
    * Logitech S220 - 2.1 Speakers with Subwoofer
    * Logitech Cordless Keyboard & Cordless Optical Mouse
    * Free Microsoft® Works® 8.5 + 60 Days Microsoft Office Trial
    * Free Cyberlink Video Editing Suite - 7 titles (oem)
    * 2x IEEE1394 Firewire (onboard)
    * 1x Gigabit LAN (onboard)
    * Multi-format Memory Card Reader (ATX)
    * Free Upgrade to 1 Year On Site* - UK Mainland Only (Repairline Ltd Warranty)
    Full details are available from http://www.meshcomputers.com/ (On the main page)

If I remove all the crap and the 19" then it comes in at £610. It's probably gonne be running Vista Ultimate 64bit and only really used for general PC stuff and testing stuff within a VM environment.

They wont sell it without an OS, keyboard / mouse and speakers

What do you think?

Michael
    Last edited by m80arm; 26th November 2007, 11:15.
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Re: Quad Core PC specs - What do you think

Have you priced a build your own system? Hard to comment on the price as it will vary considerably on what is available Downunder.

I would also consider putting XP (64) on it and not Vista because XP will use less base resources and leave more for VMWare.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
      I would also consider putting XP (64) on it and not Vista because XP will use less base resources and leave more for VMWare.
      and id take it a step further and say scrap the windows lics altogether and run RHEL, saving your proc and mem for the VMs and giving you a free windows lic, or just the $90 back for an OS upgrade.

it looks like a decent bet... the Intel® Core™2 Quad processors feature:
      Intel® quad-core technology
      Intel® Virtualization Technology± *** supporting the virtual machine monitor features... i dont know if it helps or not, but it cant hurt.
      Intel® Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology
      Intel® 64 architecture±

overall, id think you would be happy with the setup at the price... i am currently running a q6300 with 2 gigs on xpsp2... running 3 full-time virtuals and everything is purring along happy...

but im sure the next post is going to tell us how intel sucks and to go get an AMD.
      potAtoe, potatoe....

Intel: when you can afford to crash the very best...

me, i like them both. games on the AMD, virtuals on the intel.
      its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
      Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

TBH I think I'm gonna keep this as my main PC with a few test virtuals on and then keep my current Athlon 3400 with 2gig RAM as a Prod virtual server running Fedora or Centos.

Depending on how much of a bonus I get I think I'll go for it

Cheers

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

4GB DDR2 667MHz Memory -( 4x 1GB )

I'd go with 2x2GB if you can. Price should be similar, and it will run @ 667 Mhz, not 533 Mhz. (more than 2 sticks run slower 99% of the time due to limitations in the memory controller)
          ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Wired View Post
            4GB DDR2 667MHz Memory -( 4x 1GB )

I'd go with 2x2GB if you can. Price should be similar, and it will run @ 667 Mhz, not 533 Mhz. (more than 2 sticks run slower 99% of the time due to limitations in the memory controller)
            Cheers for the info. It's an extra £40 which I suppose is worth it in the long run if I ever want to max it out at 8gig
            Michael Armstrong
            www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

Penryn is due in janurary and will run around 400 mhz faster than Q6600 clock for clock.

It will also have 12 mb cache over the current 8 mb with Q6600.

Penryn will run cooler and use less power as its a 45nm chip.

The Q6600 is a 65nm part and will be outdated in 8 weeks.

My advice to you would be to wait and go for a Q9550 instead of a Q6600 at this time.

Intel Memory controlers based on P35 and X38 chipsets have no problems running 4x 1 GB ram either.

Bandwith is far more important than latency with intel chipsets.

Edit: That PC comes with a 650i chipset that is awful for your needs.

You need at least an intel chipset not Nvidia and choose between P35 and X38.
              Last edited by easyrider; 19th December 2007, 02:18.
              [email protected] 3.8ghz/Asus Maximus/8800GTS 512 MB/Ballistix 4GIG 1066 mhz/17443 3D Marks 06

Comment

Working...
              X