PC startup failure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC startup failure

I am not too sure if this problem is covered by this forum. For a long time my second PC usually fails to startup first time and instead displays the dreaded blue screen fully of text I really do not understand.

I thougt it might be a fault in the old 40 Gig hard Drive, but recently I replaced it with a 10 Gig drive removed form another PC while working perfectly, but it failed to solve the prblem. Can ayone suggest the answere to the fault and if there are any tests I can try such as in the CMOS setup.

Thanks

Re: PC startup failure

It is probably a hardware or driver failure. The next time it happens write down the stop error details and google on it. Example:

Stop: 0x0000000A (parameter1, parameter2, parameter3, parameter4) IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL*** Address x has base at x - filename

Comment

Thanks for your offer of help. I hope I have copied the code below correctly but I notice a different error shows after awhile if I switch on again.

*** STOP: 0x00000000D1,0X00000001
      (0X47 FFFFBA ,0X00000002, 0X00000001, 0XF745492E)

***ACPI.SYS ADDRESS F74592E
      BASE AT F7438000, DATESTAMP 41107D27

Comment

It would appear that you have a power management problem. Go into the BIOS and turn off all power management options and then go into Control Panel and do the same and see if it helps.

Comment

Thanks I thought I might have a power problem but I am not sure I am competent to replace the power supply especoally as I now have a new PC.

Could I please pester you on one other problem. My fancy new Hanns-G 19 inch flat screen refuses to run any DOS programs apart from running Qbasis only in SCREEN 0 text mode. Is this a common problem with flat screen mopnitors or am I just unlucky, or have I not set one of the manual monitor settings correctly?

Thanks

Comment

Unfortunately I have no idea regarding your monitor. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by GordonSweet View Post
              I am not sure I am competent to replace the power supply especoally as I now have a new PC.
              ACPI is the Windows module that deals with all the power management (like hibernate, sleep, parking the disks or turning off the monitor when idle). Is hard to believe is a hardware problem. Meaning, your power supply is OK (most certain). The way Windows sees it is not.
              Try to do what joeqwerty suggested and see if it solves the BSODs.
              Regarding the monitor issue, consult the local representative, especially if it's a brand new monitor. And check that the right drivers are installed, and not some generic "Plug and Play monitor" drivers.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
              -

Comment

BSODs are always good fun

Typically 90% of BSODs are hardware related. 9% software 1% random

I would say about 70-80% of hardware related BSODs are either related to the hard drive or RAM

Its a good idea to first see if its your RAM or hard drive that is causing the problem. When I was a full time techie in a repair shop, we used a Hirens boot disk (http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd) to test hardware. Basically if you can get your hands on a hirens bootdisk there are two specific tests / software you want to run

Seeing as you have tried a second hard drive, it *may* not be the problem

1) seatools desktop edition. Most recommended hard drive testing tool. Simple, easy to use and under stand. Tick the tests you want it to run, it tests and reports any errors (does full system and file system scans)

2) memtest. Very simple, old as DOS itself RAM testing tool. Test one stick at a time (if you are running more than one) and if it passes 5 or so full tests the ram is fine.

Other than that, follow the advice to disable power saving options, and check your drivers. Boot into safe mode and see if you get any BSODs there. Your specific problem may be driver related. Check to see what drivers / software is installed for power savings (i.e. AMDs 'cool n quiet' utility)

If you have a spare hard drive, try a clean installation of windows and only install the base drivers for the system. If you get a BSOD, then its definitely hardware

If you are having a look in your system, check that your mother board capacitors are not bulging or popped. I have seen plenty of systems with busted capacitors running, but causing random BSODs. If this is the case, you will most likely need to get a new motherboard

Hope that is helpful

Comment

Thanks for your very thorough reply. I have now passed the PC onto a very clever little 10 year old girl in the family, who is very pleased with it even if she sometimes has to restart if it does not come on properly first time.

The suggestion about disabling the CMOS Power Management seems to have improved the position, but I was only allowd to set it to minimum.

Comment

They always say "Do you have a problem with your computer? Give it to a 10-year old" ...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                    -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post

They always say "Do you have a problem with your computer? Give it to a 10-year old" ...
                      Sorin, are you having a dig about my IQ level?
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Yes she is a clever girl even has to show her father how to do things on his PC. But she does have a habit of changing passwords on her PC and Mobile then cannot remember them !!!

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                          Sorin, are you having a dig about my IQ level?
                          Nope! That's not my invention, I won't take credit for it
                          See for yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-_51OsaaSY

Have a great weekend, BigB.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
                          X