BlueScreen Error

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BlueScreen Error

Hey there
    i had a power failure the other day and my pc shut down suddenly
    and now each time i work with it suddenly itr estarts on its own and sometimes it gives a BLUE SCREEN
    could it be the memory card got screwed or some other part in my pc that causes the system to automatically reboot.
    when i tried to avoid the restart in case of system failure i got the blue screen.

need help!

which operating system?

what is the error message in the bsod?
    Technical Consultant

"No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

more info for my Error MSG

WinXP Pro
      one of the error msgs that i got after restarting the OS was "9c"
      The excat Error Message of the blue screen was:
      /* Test about removing any new installed hardware */
      Technical information:
      0x00000009c (0x00000000, 0x8054DA70, 0xB2000000, 0x1020080F)
      /* Begin of Memory Dump */

P.S. i havent installed any new hardware or updated any new drivers for that matter.

You should check your memory both in the General tab of System Properties and in your BIOS settings. If both are the same and what they should be then your memory is OK.

Also run Dxdiag from Start/Run and see that everything is OK.

PS: my first post on this site.

Originally posted by Gunny
          You should check your memory both in the General tab of System Properties and in your BIOS settings. If both are the same and what they should be then your memory is OK.

Also run Dxdiag from Start/Run and see that everything is OK.

PS: my first post on this site.
          I had a similar thing, but no matter what programs I ran to check RAM, Hard Drive, CPU, etc I kept getting an All OK responce.

I replaced my RAM with some borrowed memory, and all worked fine again.

RAM is very electro-sensitive, and if your computer went down in storm, chances are that you have a fried chip on one of your RAM boards. If your using more than 1 board, try swapping them around, and seeing if this eleviates the problem, or makes it happen more often.

Cheap way out is to buy 1 board, and play musical RAM boards until the system stops giving you the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH.

Recommended way would be to replace all the RAM, and go with new RAM, that way you know your using quality parts in your system.

I have a nice stick of memory that when installed, you start loosing files from your hard drive, and sends the computer completely wacky, corrupting everything that goes through it, last thing you need is one of your Ram sticks going this way, trust me, after 30+ installs and restores, I finaly found the problem, and it cost me over 2 weeks of work to fine it was a $40 RAM stick.

taken to consideration

i will check all ur offers thanks
            i am now looking for new ram sticks i thought of adding to my 256MB ram (one stick) another 1GB ram but i guess i will buy only 1GB and use the current ram stick to another pc i have as extra to the ram i have there
            do u think it would be wise to do that?
            thanks guys

If it was me, I would grab a cheap stick of 256mb RAM, run the system on only this for a few days and give it a good thrashing to see if I could replicate the blue screen of death.

If my testing was unable to replicate the error, I would then go and get what RAM I desired, and toss the old ram in the bin (or give it to someone you dont like, it will give them a nice little headache).

EDIT: Just to add to this, most people dont treat computers with enopugh respect. I have seen people strip an old Computer and use it's parts (memory, PCI boards, etc) in a new PC to "boost the specs", but when I say "you realise you have 2 speeds of Ram, and your running a 16bit PCI board along with your 32 bit boards?" they say "who cares, it's got better specs".

If you want a reliable PC, you need to stick to a few simple rules. Same memory type if your using multiple modules (same speed, prefferably a similar size, both either parity or non-parity, etc), if your going to add hardware, make sure it's repliable, and not from a 2nd hand machine that has been coked in a storm, etc.

I have only had 1 PC go bad, and it was due to not being on UPS in a storm, but it got donated to a friend who needed something to get by on, the rest of my hardware is more than reliable, and only the best components will be installed on my systems.

When I said check your memory I did not mean run any memory check programs. The General tab of System Properties displays the amount of memory that Windows "thinks" it has. If this is not showing the memory size that it should, and presumably did before, then you have a memory problem.

If you have three memory sticks installed your BIOS Settings will show the individual memory sizes but Windows will show only the effective total. If the second/middle stick is fried it will read zero in your BIOS settings and Windows will detect only the first good one but not the third good one.

So, if System Properties is showing a memory size one third what it should be showing your second memory stick is definitely fried - your third memory stick could also be fried but you can't tell that from Windows. If it is showing two thirds then your third memory stick is fried - but the first two are OK.

I had this problem once but it took me a long time to even suspect bad memory. Now I keep a close eye on it and check it in System Properties frequently. My second memory stick was fried. I played musical RAM just to double check. That's how I found out about all this.

I run Dxdiag to check out the other hardware e.g. sound cards, etc.