No announcement yet.

Sync'ing multiple fileservers together.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sync'ing multiple fileservers together.

Hi,

I'm wondering if any of you is aware of something either from Microsoft or a third party application that could synchronize files over multiple servers.

Our company has 2 servers hosted on 2 different geographical site. Since our connection is kind of slow, i'd like to have all the files on both servers. So basically, i'd like to have a mirror of the files on the first server on the second server. So, everytime a file would be changed, it would replicate itself on the other server. This way, everyone would have the file locally on their network. I can see some big problems coming from this kind of setup like, but i'm wondering if there's a software or anything embedded in Windows 2003 Server that could handle this.

Regards,

trep

Re: Sync'ing multiple fileservers together.

There are a bunch of third party programs that do this, DoubleTake from NSI Software is what we use but it's rather expensive. You could also use Robocopy which is free. You could also look into using DFS.

Comment

Thanks for the answer.

What's the price range for DoubleTake ?

I also found something called Availl WAFS, dunno about the price range for this, but it looks like another solution.

Why aren't you using DFS ?

trep

Comment

We replicate about 500GB of data and I don't trust that much to DFS. Doubletake runs us about $3,000.00 per server.

Comment

But as you are looking for something embedded in Windows 2003 and costeffectiveness too I think DFS would be the best option for you....
          Kapil Sharma
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Life is too short, Enjoy It.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
            We replicate about 500GB of data and I don't trust that much to DFS. Doubletake runs us about $3,000.00 per server.

Any particular reason?

After switching from FRS to DFSR I've been very pleased with DFS.

We keep about an 80GB chunk of data synchronized over a partial T1.

Does DFSR not scale well when you're dealing with a large data set?
            CCA: XenApp 5.0

Comment

But for switching to DFSR they will need to prepare their forest for Windows 2003 R2 so that they can utilize the full functionality of DFSR.

Regards,
              Kapil Sharma
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Life is too short, Enjoy It.

Comment

Will DFS make any use of "locked files" feature ?

Like, if a replication is made from site A to site B and someone opens a word/excel/autocad file on site B, is it gonna be locked to view only ?

edited: found the answer and it doesn't support any file locking operation, though, some companies seem to offer some sort of plugin to support file locking in DFS.

trep
                Last edited by trep; 9th November 2007, 14:04.

Comment

Trep,

Here is how we solve the file locking problem.

We only let them access files on one of the DFSR shares. If you're using DFS Management with DFSR.exe this is not too much of a problem. I believe there are settings to force everyone to access the shares on only one server. If that doesn't work out then don't use the Namespace to map the drives. Map the shares using the old fashioned way.

It's always a good idea to keep an eye on DFSR to make sure it doesn't encounter problems and stop replicating. And, I would not rely solely on DFSR as a backup strategy for file shares.

Good luck Trep. Let us know how it works out.
                  CCA: XenApp 5.0

Comment

How about Robocopy? It can stay resident and make a copy of a file if it has changed. Good free tool written by MS themselves. Very reliable, and plenty of options to use so you can fine tune its behaviour.
                    Best wishes,
                    PaulH.
                    MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Working...
                    X