• Show
Clear All

• Job Completed with Exceptions

hi all

i have a backup question
    i backup my server with backup exec
    the advance open file is not used
    so i here and there get an "Job Completed with Exceptions"
    some of those files and folders i think i can restore succesfull without them.

like: software distribution
    and can i excluse the update folders like - $NtUninstallKB900725$

thanks all

Re: Job Completed with Exceptions

This is not a Backup Exec forum so you're in the wrong place to begin with. Because of this, I will give you limited answers:

>> so i here and there get an "Job Completed with Exceptions"

This normally happens when a file is open by a user during the backup process. The file has not been backed up and will not be restored.

>> and can i excluse the update folders like - $NtUninstallKB900725$

Yes.

In BEW, you can click on the error messages which will take you to the Symantec web site to give you the required fix. The Symantec web site has a dedicated forum for BEW
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Comment

Why don't you use the AOFO?

Comment

Originally posted by JDMils View Post
        This is not a Backup Exec forum so you're in the wrong place to begin with. Because of this, I will give you limited answers:
        Well JD, now that the thread is in the appropriate forum maybe you could become more unlimited with your answers.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Actually, BigB, I think that JDMils' answer is all that it is.
          When AOFO is not used, any opened file on the volume that is backed up will give the stated warning. Period.
          BTW, joeqwerty, I am not using AOFO too, because it's price: for the 11d version, it's more than $800. I got used to backing up without it... Of course, I am not advising anyone not to use it... I just state that I can understand why the option is not available.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

hi all for your answer

as sorinso say its the price for not using aofo
            i probably didnt ask the question right beacuse this wasnt a backup question.

i wanted to know what will consider a good backup.
            and i am talking only about the system.
            not the data or applications and no operating system diffrences.

so do i have a good system backup even without:
            $NtUninstallKB900725$ and folders like
            and without the software distribution folder and especially the EventCache folder

thanks

Comment

I think I understand what you're asking now. BEW is good at backing up your data, like Office, SQL, Exchange, etc.

But if you want to backup your server's OS, then you need to do more (and spend more $$$). You would have to look into clustering your servers, mirroring/stripping disks, etc.

On the cheap, get a copy of Ghost or True Image and schedule the app to image your server's OS to a seperate location. Be careful tho as this scenario will only work efficiently if your server dies and you restore the image to the exact same hardware. We all know what happens to XP when you change the hardware in a computer.....nothing, it crashes.

Note: At this point my Windows session crashed and I had to retype this post over before I got to save it....is this a sign?

If you want flexibility, invest in VMWare. You can run multiple servers on one host and if the host dies in any way, just move the VMWare host app to new harware and you're off and running again and your VM images will be none the wiser.

Oh, and biggles...."Actually, BigB, I think that JDMils' answer is all that it is." hehehehe. You know I look forward to seeing your avatar right below my posts
              |
              +-- JDMils
              |
              +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
              |

Comment

And just so you isn't disappointed, here it is.

Don't forget to mention Ghosting/Imaging a DC is NOT a real good option.
                (Only a Collingwood supporter would forget pointing that one out )
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                X