Extracting/moving files by file filter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extracting/moving files by file filter

I'm looking for recommendations on a utility that can do this job properly. I have the following directory structure: D:\YEARxx\MONTHxx\DAYxx\CLIENTxx\EXPORT. With this type of tree, I need to extract out the EXPORT folder and its contents for every client and move it to a new tree while maintaining the file structure (YEARxx\MONTHxx\DAYxx\CLIENTxx\EXPORT). There are other files in the CLIENTxx folders, so the goal is to move just the EXPORT folder, maintaining the hierarchy in the new folder tree, while leaving the old tree intact, minus all the EXPORT folders. We're talking about 200 GB or so of data and about 1 million files...definitely not a manual task.

I have a backup program called SyncBack that is fantastic for backup and is supposed to be able to do this, but the file filters keep selecting the wrong folders. I don't think this should be too difficult, but I'd like to avoid downloading 20 shareware/freeware programs to find one that will get the job done.

Any recommendations?

Re: Extracting/moving files by file filter

One tool I can suggest you to check is Robocopy, a free tool by Microsoft, part of the Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools.
    In the TechNet Magazine there is also a nice GUI tool, Utility Spotlight.
    Good luck.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
      One tool I can suggest you to check is Robocopy, a free tool by Microsoft, part of the Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools.
      In the TechNet Magazine there is also a nice GUI tool, Utility Spotlight.
      Good luck.
      The utility Spotlight that Sorinso has mentioned is actually the GUI for Robocopy.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
        The utility Spotlight that Sorinso has mentioned is actually the GUI for Robocopy.
        Thanks, wullieb1, for the clarification. This is what I meant to... Too early in the morning, you know

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
          Thanks, wullieb1, for the clarification. This is what I meant to... Too early in the morning, you know
          No prbs.

I knew about the GUI and was going to paste a direct link to it but you done that just named it differently.

Comment

Working...
          X