foward 'domain.com' to 'www.domain.com'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• foward 'domain.com' to 'www.domain.com'

i have a few domains that are used to publish webpages to the public... several of them are just to hold the suffix (.net, .org, ect)

right now, when i open an internet explorer window and type 'domain.com' i get the search crap...

if i type www.domain.com, i get to the proper page.

what i would like to accomplish is just being able to type 'domain.com' and have that open 'www.domain.com'...

on my domaindiscovery.com page, i have the host record pointing to the public facing IP for the webserver, and it works.

so on the "value-added services" i have a check box on the "Redirect my domain to an existing URL" and the URL 'http://www.domain.com' in the checkbox...

am i missing the point? (i think i am... )or do i just need to wait until DNS propagates?
    or is this an IIS configuration issue? do i need the webserver to respond to 'domain.com'?

sorry for my confusion... i dont manage this d00ds webservers, just the domain registration.

thanks for the help guys,
    J
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Re: foward 'domain.com' to 'www.domain.com'

Is there an A Record for www?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

1. Create a host regisration for domain.com leave the hostname blank (fig.1)
      2. Create an Alias (CNAME) www poining to the previus record. (fig2)
      Attached Files
      Regards,
      Csaba Papp
      MCSA+messaging, MCSE, CCNA
      Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate

Comment

yes, i have a host record for www.domain.com

netxt, i am trying to do this for the public users, not my internal ones, but i will hook that up too. i manage the users favorites (work related sites) thru GPO...

i manage my sites on the domaindiscover.com site.

i figured all i would have to do is redirect the domain to www.domain.com, but im still missing something.

the weather is crap here today, so ill deal with it later. the public will just have to deal with typing 'www' for a little while.

i have three services running on the same IP, FTP, WWW, and a backup mail gateway. the primary mail gateway is on a separate IP, as is the vpn...

thanks guys.
        Last edited by James Haynes; 2nd October 2007, 20:58.

Comment

the idea is the same for the external (public domain). My company Internet domains are hosted by UltraDNS and in order to achieve the gol, we created 2records: a host record for companydomain.com, the IP was the address of our web server and a CNAME record for www pointing to companydomain.com
          Regards,
          Csaba Papp
          MCSA+messaging, MCSE, CCNA
          Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate

Comment

understood! thank you for clarifying that.

and thanks for the screen shots. i can do word problems and all, but the visuals make it much easier to understand. i appreciate the effort from all you guys...

karma points for netxt and biggles... you guys rock!

Comment

Working...
            X