Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inventory Software

Hey Guys,

I need a free inventory software which can help me to see what are the hardware and software i have in my users pc's.

Sarkis
    Lebanon

Re: Inventory Software

Thread moved!

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Try OCS Inventory
      Open Computer and Software Inventory Next Generation (OCS inventory NG) is free software making it possible to create an inventory on the configuration of the machines of the network and of the software which is installed there. OCS makes it possible to visualize this inventory through to a web interface. OCS also comprises the possibility of deploying applications on the computers according to search criteria. A function of the agents named IpDiscover makes it possible to know the entirety of the networked computers and devices.

Comment

Another tool is SubnetScan. The only flaw I found in it is that it gives the software list in a single Excel cell....

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

http://www.spiceworks.com/signup/
          its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
          Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Not that I want to spoil the party, but there is something I feel you should look at: it's not the first time SpiceWorks shows on these forums. Take a look at http://forums.petri.com/showpost.php...8&postcount=10 . I have some mixed feelings about this software...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

At the same time, you can't just point the finger at Spiceworks. Install a packet sniffer on your computer and run a capture. You'll be surprised at how many programs "phone home". If you are logged on as local admin, then they have your machine. If you're logged on as domain admin, then they have your network.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                At the same time, you can't just point the finger at Spiceworks.
                Well, that's not what I said... Or intended. I never said "Don't use it". Neither here, nor in the thread I referenced to. I just expressed my mixed feelings about it. Merely raised a red flag.
                I suggest everyone that want to use the software should read very carefully the Privacy Statement published on SpiceWorks site. Especially Third-Party Sites, Legal Disclaimer and Changes to Privacy Statement paragraphs. SpiceWorks is located in Texas, USA. Does it mean that everyone using the software has now to comply to USA laws? And to the USA's judges, ruling things that are sometimes absurd in any other country?
                An article I read and found interesting, related to SpiceWorks, is in Ethical Hacker Network. It deals with the issue, but the author decides to use the software. I won't bother you or the other forum users with more articles, a simple "google" search will do the job.
                Regarding all other "E.T." kind of software, I think that any software that sends any kind of information to anyone else, without the user's specific knowledge and approval, should be declared mallware and be treated as such.
                I am not paranoid, so I am not checking every bit of every software I use. But I do read and take in consideration the opinions of security-related companies and professionals.

To summarize, everyone should do whatever s/he finds right. I only ask questions and provide a different (hope) point of view, so that the decision in the end will be the best that suits the customer, based on the best arguments and considerations.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

i only posted the link to spiceworks, cause when i was viewing the thread, an add popped up for spiceworks... with the same title as the post. kinda funny...

i am partial to LANdesk myself... maybe cause i paid 60K for it, but also cause it works well.
                  its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
                  Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Working...
                  X