IDE vs SATA hard drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IDE vs SATA hard drive

I have (finally) gotten my home server running. I am running Windows Server 2003 R2, and I have everything running off a stock Compaq Presario S4200NX (with memory upgraded to 1 gb).

I want to add a second HD for for storage, mainly MP3 files (I currently have approx 135 gig of stored music). Currently, the PC has as available IDE plug on the existing cable setup.

Would getting a second IDE drive be sufficent (I need no more than 400 gig), or should I go through the added expense (and time) of getting a PCI adapter to use a SATA drive?

I do not plan on adding any other drives or storage to this machine.
    They keep getting younger, don't they baby...

Compaq Presario PC: Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard / Intel Celeron 2.6 ghz / 1 gb RAM
    HP m7470n Media Center PC: Windows XP Pro Media Center 2005 / AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+ 2.19 ghz / 2 gb RAM
    Toshiba Satellite M35 Special Edition: Windows XP Pro SP2 / Intel Pentium M 1.70 ghz / 1 gb RAM
    Gateway FMC-901 Media Center PC Windows XP Pro Media Center 2005 / Intel Pentium 4 3.0 ghz / 512 mb RAM

Re: IDE vs SATA hard drive

IDE should be fine. I run Windows Home Server off an IDE disk and for personal use it's absolutley fine.

The IDE disk will be cheaper and you can get 500gig disks pretty cheap now.

Hope this helps

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Just checked prices here in OZ and the 500GB IDE & SATA drives are the same price. The 750GB SATA is AUD$7 more expensive than the IDE. Guess it really doesn't matter but then you are looking at purchasing a SATA controller. You also need to consider how long this motherboard is going to be with you and if you upgrade you will either need a motherboard with and IDE port or purchase an IDE controller. 12 months and IDE could be a thing of the past on new motherboard. Certainly on the better models now, SATA seems to be the only choice.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Do whatever makes more sense. Why purchase an add-in card just to support a SATA drive if you've got an IDE connector available?

Given two drives, same manufacturer/model but one IDE the other SATA - Internally the drives are virtually identical, only the interface to the computer is what differs.

For me, the biggest benefit to SATA is less cable clutter.
        Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Do appreciate IDE has limitations (past cable width and length). On a single channel with 2 drives (master / slave), only one drive can access the controller at a time.

Shouldn't matter unless you're doing video or database work. At this point, I'd buy the fastest biggest SATA drives I can at my price point as you can more easily reuse them in the future. You can get cheap SATA to IDE converters to run in your old hardware:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812206001

I have a few of these and they work fine for me in my removable drive trays / etc. SATA drives with "native command queuing" are best if you wish SCSI-like performance when you finally move it to real SATA service.
          Cheers,

Rick

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Damn Rick, they is cheap!! I think you have just put the nail in the IDE v SATA coffin!!
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
            X