No announcement yet.

Roaming Profile is changing

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roaming Profile is changing

We recently want to roaming profiles on all of our company computers. For some reason, if a user is off-site and they move files and folders around, when they return the the office, everything is moved back.
    This does not happen all the time, but does make my users feel uneasy that their changes or new documents where not saved.

Any one know why this is happening?

Re: Roaming Profile is changing

I think we need some more information. First of all, you donít put roaming profiles on computers, you associate them with user accounts. Then, you log on to a computer and Active Directory leaves a copy of that profile on the computer you just logged onto and out of, and it leaves a copy on the shared drive that you specify within the user acct, usually the domain controller or other member server.
    Now, by off-site, do you mean your user, who has a roaming profile is logging in through VPN into a RAS (remote access server) with a remote client session? Or are they using a Terminal Services session? Iím trying to plot this out, but I canít until I know which files and which folders are being moved from where to where. Roaming profiles only affect folders within My Documents (as far as user folders are concerned and as far as I know). Have you tested these roaming profiles on your LAN to make sure they are saving changes the way they are supposed to within your local area network? Thatís the first step. Looking forward to your reply.

Re: Roaming Profile is changing

Wayne, can you please tell us more about your environment:
      Server OS
      Workstation OS
      Domain or Workgroup?

We will then move the thread to the correct forum for better responses
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **