Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchasing a Home Server for Testing / Prod

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to purchase a server mainly for a home prod and test network. Usual stuff, DC, Exchange etc etc. I can't afford much but what do you guys think of this:

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/128282/rb/0

Looking to purchase another disk for RAID 1 (Might Just RAID 1 the OS and then have an additional 2 500gb drives for VM's etc but will decide that later.) Also looking to purchase 4 x 1gb Memory (4gig Ram should be enough for me)

Been looking at the processor and it's 64bit and includes VT.

What do you guys think?

Anyone got one and do you recommend it?

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Re: Purchasing a Home Server for Testing / Prod

Bumpty bump!

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I have read not so great things about this model in an SBS Users Group. However the next model up got better ratings. ML350 but I guess the price rises accordingly.

If you only want it for testing then why not make up a system for yourself.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I thought it was a good price. It will be around 500 for the server plus 4gb RAM, additional 160gb HD for RAID1 and an extra 500GB hard disk for VM's etc and additional SATA cables.

Plus I'll need to purchase a technet subscription

Do you have the URL to that review by any chance?

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

Not so much a review but more like a list of users and the comments they were making about it. Note that the RAM is most likely ECC so it will be more expensive than the normal desktop stuff. Make sure you leave some RAM slots for future expansion. (I purchased an Acer with 4 slots and 2GB of RAM 2 years ago. Now to add more RAM I have to buy 1GB modules and toss the 512MB pieces away to make room for the 1GB ones. In hindsight I should have purchased 2 x 1GB modules but 2GB seemed sufficient then)
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
          X