butterfly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• butterfly

some time ago the wifes computer caught a virus and the computer crashed. I could not start it with the oem disk and had to down load the 6 disk from the ms web site. But the virus remained in the computer and it was just today that we solved the problem, one thing remains the butterfly. Signing on to the old system we had to just click on the butterfly (administrator) no password. there are a lot of files we cannot retrieve I feel that if I can get the butterfly icon to appear on start up we can retrieve her lost files. I tried searching for the lost files but no help. mike

Re: butterfly

Butterfly? Butterfly ?!? Come on, you are not serious ....
    I would start by reading the forum's rules: http://forums.petri.com/announcement.php?f=19. Especially rule #3.
    Next, the butterfly was only an icon. It could have been anything else... Including Shrek ! So, what did it do? Who was that account that was represented by a butterfly?
    What do you mean by "there are a lot of files we cannot retrieve" ?
    And when you say "it was just today that we solved the problem", you mean what? How did you solved the problem? Installation from scratch? Repair installation? Restore from backup? Recovery console?
    Please provide the forum some more details, so we will be able to understand what is your problem and what you did so far to try and solve it.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by sorinso; 30th August 2007, 23:04. Reason: typos...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

The computer is a bio star with a amd 1800 and has a win xp pro os 384 mb memory 60 gig hard drive. I have ad-aware se, ccleaner, avg free and spy bot for protection and clean up. Two months ago it became unstable I tried using the above programs but it just became worse. spy bot identified some bad files but could not remove all of them I tried to go to restore points but it became so bad it would not operate. So without formatting I Installed the 6 disc that I had down loaded from the microsoft web site for recovery when this computers new mother board crashed. ( I tried to install the original xp disc with the 24 diget code but that would not work in this computer and the one that is the subject of this post). Thus the 6 disc. I must mention that this computer boots with a black screen that has windows xp pro on it twice| I arrow down and pick the 2nd one to get it to boot which leads me to believe that there are two systems in here one bootable one not. Now the butterfly When I built the subject computer it booted with a butterfly icon that represented the administrator. All that had to be done to enter the os was to click on this butterfly icon no password needed. Now after installing the 6 disc I had to set up another administrator also no password needed. My wife had a lot of family pictures that i cant find must find. Searching with words like picture did not help. I feel that this is also a duel boot system and if I can get this butterfly icon to appear at start up one click would get me those files, again no password needed. The problem we solved was After getting the computer on line the virus was still there using spy bot it was identified as pmnnk.dll but nothing would remove it. On google I entered the file name and found a company that said they can remove it (Prevx) I downloaded their program and after 3 full scans the file was gone. As of this post the subject computer is alive but still a littlle shaky Mike

Comment

Well, that sounds a lot different from the first post.
        So, from what I understood so far, you had a virus. Downloaded 6 disks from Microsoft and installed from scratch (not a repair installation, but a new one). That gets us indeed to a dual boot system. This is the reason you get a screen at the beginning, in which you choose the version of XP to boot. BTW, you did not say anything about the OS. It is XP, isn't it? And what version? Home? Professional?
        You will need to provide some info regarding the current set-up of your computer. To do this, you need to upload some screenshots. Now, how you make screenshots? Simple: you open the window you want on the screen and then press Alt+PrintScreen. This action will insert the current window in the clipboard. Next, you need to open Paint (Start -> Programs -> Accessories) and press Ctrl+V or click Edit -> Paste. You will see the window in Paint, as a picture. Save it as JPG (the default is BMP, change it) and add it to your post.
        This is what you should do next:
        - press Start -> Run -> msconfig -> OK. Go to the BOOT.INI tab and post the screenshot;
        - press Start ->Settings -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management. Go to Disk Management, maximize the window and get the screenshot.
        With these two, I think we will be able to get enough info to start getting you to the old files (that I hope that are still on the old OS). Anyway, I would back everything up and install again on a fresh, formatted disk. But first things first.
        Hope this reply is detailed enough. Good luck. And btw, you're still talking about that butterfly... That's not something relevant, it's only an icon. I told you, it could have been anything else ....

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Working...
        X