Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSI packaging

To All,

Is anyone aware of any sources where i can find out the components of a specific software? For example, certain applications need VB runtime, some need DirectX, some need VM Script Engine, some need Java runtime, etc etc. How do i find out if a particular uses one or more of these components, as they will be, of course, of the target computers in order for the software deployed to function. Thanks

Re: MSI packaging

What do you seek sounds like reverse engineering of the setup file, and that is forbidden in the vast majority of cases.
    I think that your only option is to monitor the installation process, see the phases and try to copy them. A tool for this is Process Monitor .
    It won't be easy, since you have to monitor everything (file system, registry and all), and in the end you cannot be sure that you will be able to duplicate the process... But you won't know till you'll try

Good luck.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Hi, thanks for the prompt reply. I am just learning to package software to msi files to be deployed using GPOs as this is the company standard for publishing or assigning software.....maybe sms would be easier. Anyway, it seems that software companies would take the initiative to inform the user that a particular prerequisite component(s) is needed, on whatever platform that is running on the target pc, so that the use may configure their unit to accept the software. Curious to why would a software company deny such critical information that could prevent the prospect from buying the app? If they do indeed refrain from providing such info, then whoever is packaging the app into a msi, has a variable that prevents him/her from being completely sure the app will run once deployed and installed on the user's pc. Any thoughts? Thanks

Comment

Well, it's hard to tell why companies are not making this info available... I know that more and more of them are starting to make their products available in MSI form.
        There are a lot of MSI packaging tools out there. One tool I use is Installer2GO. The only drawback I found is that it insists on creating shortcuts on Start -> Programs menu.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Working...
        X