MS Access issue !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MS Access issue !

One of my user gets the following error from MS Access running from his local machine and linking to the database & appropriate tables. The MS Access application uses back end SQL server to get info from. ODBC connections are fine, I tested them already. His machine uses DHCP to connect to the network. One thing I'd like to mention is: We have Citrix server on which this application is published and this user can connect and perform the same tasks using the Citrix client. He is having errors in connecting to the tables when he launches locally. Recently he got new upgraded PC and since than this problem arose. He was OK on his older PC. Any ideas what & where else to look?
    Thanks
    Attached Files
    Last edited by samdazz; 20th August 2007, 16:49.

Re: MS Access issue !

I take it there are many copies on the MDB vs. just one on a central file share?

Have the user try a Tools\Database\Compact and Repair Database operation on the MDB and see if the problem goes away.
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

In my opinion, it can't be the database file, it must be the user's machine. Because all other users have no issues at all. And more over, this user can access the same database and tables using the Citrix client. So this test definitely shows there is some tweak needs to be done on user's machine.
      PS: The problem appeared only on this user's new PC, from his old PC he was able to get to the tables and all other good stuff.
      Last edited by samdazz; 20th August 2007, 20:37.

Comment

Any other helpful suggestion?

Comment

Any other suggestions? Please.

Comment

Well, the only suggestion you got, you promptly shot down in flames....

Have you tried rvalstar's suggestion?
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

No, rvalstar suggestion doesn't applies in our case. It is not an Application issue, there is something wrong in the ODBC String. I can get this user to Dev. environment using another connection string which pretty much the same, just different server name. I also checked the registry under:
              HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBC.INI

There are couple of entries and my Prod entry looks like this:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBC.INI\Connecti on2Prod]
              "Driver"="C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\SQLSRV32.dll"
              "Server"="ProdServ"
              "Database"="master"
              "LastUser"="User1"
              "Trusted_Connection"="Yes"

This connection doesn't work although the Connection's Test runs successfuly at the end when I create a new ODBC connection.

The other ODBC connection (working connection, Dev. Environment) registry shows like this:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBC.INI\Connecti on2Dev]
              "Driver"="C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\SQLSRV32.dll"
              "Database"="master"
              "LastUser"="User1"
              "Trusted_Connection"="Yes"

As you can see there is no Server name in this registry entry of Server Name in the Dev ODBC connection.

I tried adding/deleting certain things in the registry and create/delete the ODBC connections but nothing works. I can see when I create the Prod ODBC connection it shows me the database 'master' already choosen & grayed out but in Dev ODBC connection it shows with a check mark and it gives me a choice of different databases which should be the way in Production as well.

Any suggestions

What could be done at this point. Its really annoying but hopefully we'll get the resolution soon.

Comment

Suggest some more for ODBC connection troubleshooting, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X