Abusive Emails

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abusive Emails

Does anyone know of an official body such as perhaps the UK police who you can complain when receiving abusive emails.

Some people using the Orange Forums have been receiving such emails both in the forums and by personal emails, and the so called unknown Orange moderators of thse forums appear ro do nothing to curtail the practice.

I wonder if the UK Ofcom would be interested in dealing with the problem.

Re: Abusive Emails

If its illegal (racist etc) then try the police
    If not, and the forum moderators dont do anything, try Orange itself
    OfCom is (AFAIK) for after you have exhausted other means

Also your local trading standards office, MP / MEP etc.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Orange is supposed to act on any reported violations, but no one knows the identity of these faceless moderators, You just click on a violation link.

You can refuse to accept emails from certain individuals but that will not solve the problems.

Comment

for companies go to http://www.dmaconsumers.org/emps.html

If it is an individual you will need to go to there ISP and complain as it is through a forum you will need to get the forum to release the poster IP and then take that to there ISP with the time and content of the abuse, they will then contact them and it will be against there terms of services....

hope this helps

Comment

Idea Removed By User Due To Unethical Posting And Embarrassment

i apologize for my insolent behavior.

sorry guys....

;(
          Last edited by James Haynes; 21st August 2007, 19:22. Reason: Name of application removed.
          its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
          Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Thanks guys but the problem here guys is not spamming but abusive personal emails probably sent by blokes to women or the use of foul language in postings that the Orange moderators seldom take any action to stop.

Comment

Originally posted by James Haynes View Post
              now, maybe this is a little proactive or considered dirty, but you want them to stop, correct?

so get xxxxxxxxxx and flood the inbox that is sending you trash. eventually, if there are any mechanisms in place for mass email flooding, the server will cut you off, and depending on the type of filtering in place, it will probably blacklist your address...

i had an instance where this was happening from some servers in hong kong... they had over 60,000 attempts at sending us crap, and they would not stop. the domain account info was not correct, or at least they didnt respond...

but after 10 hours and 250,000 emails to the sender address, they stopped.

ok, you can tell me how wrong that is now.

Errrr.... you know that it's also possible that a machine is haijacked and you destroy there bandwidith (and you're own)?
              just setup a good spamfilter(s) and you're done.
              Last edited by biggles77; 21st August 2007, 00:49. Reason: Name of application removed from quote.
              Marcel
              Technical Consultant
              Netherlands
              http://www.phetios.com
              http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
              "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
              "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post

Errrr.... you know that it's also possible that a machine is haijacked and you destroy there bandwidith (and you're own)?
                just setup a good spamfilter(s) and you're done.
                you are correct. it was only presented as an extreme method of making them stop.

i misunderstood the problem as it was presented anyways. your solution is much more viable than my unethical approach to this issue...

i would have deleted the post (and the ill thoughts associated with xxxxxxxxxx ) but you quoted it and it didnt want it to look like you quoted nothing.. you know what i mean?
                Last edited by biggles77; 21st August 2007, 00:50. Reason: Name of application removed.
                its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
                Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

You just scared me
                  Marcel
                  Technical Consultant
                  Netherlands
                  http://www.phetios.com
                  http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                  "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                  "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Petri IT KnowledgeBase in NO WAY condones spamming in any shape or form, no matter what the intentions of the sender are.

Any information on how this is achieved shall result in an immediate life ban on the member posting such information.

This spam discussion is now closed. Can we now please reply only to GordonSweet's problem. Thank you.

Gordon, this thread can be locked and a new one open for your question if you so wish. It may help keep people on track. Let us know.
                    Last edited by biggles77; 21st August 2007, 01:03.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by GordonSweet View Post
                      Does anyone know of an official body such as perhaps the UK police who you can complain when receiving abusive emails.

Some people using the Orange Forums have been receiving such emails both in the forums and by personal emails, and the so called unknown Orange moderators of thse forums appear ro do nothing to curtail the practice.

I wonder if the UK Ofcom would be interested in dealing with the problem.
                      Can you not tell the users to remove the option to receive emails from other users??

I honestly don't think there is much anyone can do i'm afraid.

Do you have spam filters in place??

If you do then add the user to the blocked list.

What email client are you using?? If outlook 2003 then add the user to the blocked user list.

Comment

Working...
                      X