No announcement yet.

Partitioning an SD card...

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Partitioning an SD card...

so im having a problem and i cant seem to google the answer for the life of me...

i have a t-mobile MDA. the MDA has a card slot for additional storage on the top. its a miniSD flash card, in a 2 gig size.

one morning im standing in front of fourbuck$ sipping my greatly overpriced coffee breakfast and on the ground i see a 4 gig card! hellz yeah... (i asked the guys at the cingular store if they had recently sold one, and they said no, so i tried to return it. theyre only $25 anyways... 3 or 4 coffees )

i take it back to the office, and its empty. empty as can be...

well, the thing that sucks is that the MDA doesnt recognize a partition over 2 gigs. 1st idea that came to mind was fdisk, but low and behold, it wont recognize the card...

i tried partition magic... UBCD, qtparted, and even the windows disk management.

what can i use to create a partition table on a miniSD or the like with?
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Re: Partitioning an SD card...

I'm 99.44% certain you cannot partition a "Removable" drive.

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

You can if you have the correct software. May daughter has a 2GB card she uses for school except the scan it when inserted and delete MP3s etc. So I used the supplied softare and partitioned it into a 256KB visible partition and the rest it undetectable and unavailable until a file in the visible partition is run and the password entered. Then it becomes 2 removable drives.

Who makes the card? See if they have partitoning software for the card on their site.
      Departed: 23rd December 2015

i used to be able to partition flash drives... i have a 512M that appears as 2x256M drives... i dont remember exactly what i did, but i think i used qtparted to do it.

i will check out the SD site and see if they have such a tool.

thanks for the help guys.
        Last edited by James Haynes; 20th August 2007, 15:12.
        its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
        Give karma where karma is due...