Dell 2650 HDD problem !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell 2650 HDD problem !

Can anybody please explain how to swap a SCSI Hard Disk on a Dell 2650?

It has 2 channels, 0 and 1. Channel 1 has a bad disk drive on Disk Array 1:2 and it went offline. It is a remote site compute and since this server is out of warranty and I'd like to send a SCSI Hard Drive I pulled out a drive from another old server which was working and would like to swap on this 2650 box.

- Can you replace a drive with any brand? If the old SCSI disk drive's model is Maxtor 15k, 36Gb Ultra320 SCSI, can I replace it with a Seagate with same configuration?
    - Should it needed a formated disk drive?
    - If you format it under RIAD 0 mode and try to place it on the server which has other 2 drisk drives configured as RAID 5, would they'll force it to RAID 5 or not?

Thanks

Re: Dell 2650 HDD problem !

Moved to Misc forum which is more appropriate

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

If the drives are similar spec then there shouldn't be a compatibility issue. (SCSI is a hardware and OS independant standard).

It won't matter if the drive is formatted or whatever when you slip it in; if the controller is configured to have a mirror then it will automatically re-create the mirror; if it is configured as RAID 5 then it will automatically rebuild the missing segment. You must place the replacement drive into the slot which contains the faulty drive. (There will be [should be?] a yellow light on the faulty drive).

** IF THESE ARE NOT HOT-SWAP DRIVES ** or the PERC 5i is not hot-swap compatible (I can't remember if it is or not) then you MUST power down the server, replace the drive and then power back on. Otherwise, you are fine to replace the drive with the server running.

As to actually how you do it (your first question), you simply unclip the old drive, slide it out of the slot, slide the new drive into the same slot and fasten the clip... it really is that simple!

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

How you can tell using a 'RDP' windows remote session that this server is configured for a Hot Swap or Not? We use Dell Server Administrator Program to manage this box.
        Thanks

Comment

I don't know of a way to do that to be honest unless it's obviously shown in Server Administrator... and I guess it isn't if you're asking. I would contact Dell and give them your Service Tag number and ask them...

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Comment

I reseated the disk. Shut down the server because server wasn't configured for hot swaps. Pulled out the drive completely, waited 30 sec.. Placed back the drive in the slot. Restarted the server and server recognized the drive as new and started rebuilding it. It took 3 hours to rebulid.

Comment

Originally posted by samdazz View Post
              I reseated the disk. Shut down the server because server wasn't configured for hot swaps. Pulled out the drive completely, waited 30 sec.. Placed back the drive in the slot. Restarted the server and server recognized the drive as new and started rebuilding it. It took 3 hours to rebulid.
              Fantastic mate well done. I hope it stays functional; have that spare ready just in case... in fact if you get chance to shut down the box again, why not slot the spare drive into an empty slot and configure it as a hot spare?

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by samdazz View Post
                server wasn't configured for hot swaps
                Hot swap is not a configurable option, certain not on the OS level. Your hardware, especially the RAID controller and the disks, should support this. Therefor, there is no way for you to see that your disks are hot-swappable by RDP from afar. You can know that by checking Dell's documentation. Simple search with "perc 3/dc hot swap site:dell.com" string will give you this document: http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...n/stormanc.htm . Take a look at the RAID Concepts -> Hot Swapping. You will see that the PERC3 controller that comes with 2650 is Hot-Swap compatible. And if you used disks recommended by Dell, they are 99.99% compatible too.
                Generally speaking, take a look at the definition of Hot Swapping at Wikipedia.
                Few notes:
                1) using different types of disks in a RAID array can be problematic, due to differences in the geometry of them. If the writing/reading speeds of the disks are different, it can cause you overall performance degradation. So doing this is not forbidden, but you should be aware of this.
                2) disks can revive themselves, like yours did, by letting them build themselves again. It usually shows a logical problem, not a physical one. Nevertheless, should this happen again, you should change the disk. And if we're talking about it,
                3) consider using a hot spare, like Tom suggested. Especially if the server is in a remote location and it's mission is critical.
                4) no forum can replace an advice from the manufacturer. Or reading it's online documentation. You could have done the same search I did, and it would give you the same results. It would have spared you two days of waiting for responses on the forum.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                -

Comment

Working...
                X