Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Routing for PC included 2 network cards?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Routing for PC included 2 network cards?

My PC (uses Win2003) has 2 network cards of 2 separated subnets. My PC has to connect to Server XYZ through port 1000 and port 2000 follow this rule:
    - Connect to port 1000 of Server XYZ through the first network card
    - Connect to port 2000 of Server XYZ through the second network card
    I don't know how to config or any software tool can support this rule.
    Please help me. Thank o lots!

Re: Routing for PC included 2 network cards?

Hiya,
    I'd love to know how this setup has come about and why it works as it will. There are two services running one for internal users and one for external users?

So one solution might be to add entries to your hosts file under a made up name say Serverxyz1 and Serverxyz2 and have each going out to the two IPs on the different subnet ranges. Then your routing stack can deal with it. (This is ok as is?)
    So instead of using: Serverxyz:1000 and Serverxyz:2000
    You would use: Serverxyz1:1000 and Serverxyz2:2000.
    Do the applications/services work that way?

Not a great solution but it should work. (Not great because you have to remember you changed the hosts file and document it for others.) If you control the DNS server the Win2003 machine queries you could add in some A records instead of the above.
    I don't know anything about (you or your) computers.
    Research/test for yourself when listening to free advice.

Comment

Please see my pictures, I want to combine from 2 PCs into 1 PC
      Please show me more detail how to setup ServerXYZ1 and ServerXYZ2
      Thanks
      Attached Files

Comment

I've misunderstood I'm afraid. Sorry about that.

So looking at it now. Why does the server have to receive requests from these IPs/ports? Can we change that behaviour?
        Can we add another network nic/IP to the server?
        Can we tell the applications which interface to use?

I don't think there is any other way of doing this. I don't think there is a way of making windows route as you need.

Editted out: ... try setting up PAT with rinetd or any other such program/device. (It won't do what we want, I've made the same mistake as I made in my earlier post.)
        Last edited by Maebe; 16th August 2007, 01:58. Reason: It took me some time to understand.

Comment

What a pity, this server is not ours so we can't change any thing, we just can change our PCs.
          I think other tool of 3rd party can do it, but I don't find out this tool.

Comment

Dude, your PC has two feet on two different subnets and the server is on the third subnet? Because this is what your drawing looks like...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

Of course, there are 3 separated subnets of difference networks
              I show 10.0.x.x just for example to easy understand

Comment

And how exactly are you going to put one PC on two different subnets without making troubles? And without the PC being a router?
                Maybe I'm missing something here...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                -

Comment

It is an odd set up and I don't believe Windows routing can do what we want. We want to filter IP traffic based on TCP properties. We could do this but we would have to filter it to another IP address so Windows can route it to the interface we would like, which in this scenario we can't?

I'd suggest a proxy but then why not go back to the two PC scenario.

Comment

These services don't require high performance, 2 PCs are waste, so I want to combine into 1 PC
                    Is it true that it has no way? What a terrible!

Comment

hmmmmz... I don't think it can work because of routing
                      Marcel
                      Technical Consultant
                      Netherlands
                      http://www.phetios.com
                      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Oh, can anyone help me please! Thanks

Comment

Doesn't look like, especially not with what you want to do.
                          What I can suggest is that, if you don't want to waste a"whole" PC for this purpose, maybe you should consider a virtual machine on an existing computer, that will hold the application you need. That, of course, if you cannot just install the application on one of the PCs....

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Originally posted by thangnm View Post
                            What a terrible!
                            it's not so terrible that Windows can't achieve this - you have to tell the application that was on PC1 to talk to that specific NIC. Which NIC is the app going to choose to use? Well, it must be told to do so. You also have to tell the app that was on PC2 to talk to the other NIC.

You can bind some apps to a specific NIC and this is what you'll have to do (if you app permits it), but this is not a Windows thing at all, it'll be a configuration within the application.

Or, you could buy the server guys a packet of chocolate biscuits and ask them to change their restricitions slightly to allow both apps on one IP address...
                            Best wishes,
                            PaulH.
                            MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Originally posted by PaulH View Post
                              it's not so terrible that Windows can't achieve this - you have to tell the application that was on PC1 to talk to that specific NIC. Which NIC is the app going to choose to use? Well, it must be told to do so. You also have to tell the app that was on PC2 to talk to the other NIC.

You can bind some apps to a specific NIC and this is what you'll have to do (if you app permits it), but this is not a Windows thing at all, it'll be a configuration within the application.

Or, you could buy the server guys a packet of chocolate biscuits and ask them to change their restricitions slightly to allow both apps on one IP address...
                              Both programs in server and client are standard and built, we don't have source code and can't change.
                              So I'm thinking the way to use VMWare

Comment

Working...
                              X