Adaptec SCSI 64 bit card Issue!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adaptec SCSI 64 bit card Issue!

I'm upgrading our old system Dell 2550 to Dell 6650. I've two SCSI cards "Adaptec AIC 7892" seated in the PCI ports on Dell 2550. These cards are attached to a Dell 4000 and Dell 7000 Tape Libraries. I tried to put these cards in Dell 6650 but unfortunately Dell 6650 has only 1 '32 bit' PCI slot and remainder 7 slots are 64 bit PCI slots. Is there any suggestion for 64 bit PCI slot's SCSI cards which will have same external connectors that will fit my external SCSI cable that I'm using with 2550? Does there any slot converter sort of thing exists that can convert Internal 64 bit PCI to 32 bit PCI slots so that I can use these cards?

Thanks

Re: Adaptec SCSI 64 bit card Issue!

Your 32 bit cards should fit in your 64 bit slots shouldn't they.

Comment

As long as there is no difference between the voltages, shouldn't be any problem...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
        As long as there is no difference between the voltages, shouldn't be any problem...
        The slots are different on the 3.3V PCI-X slots than what they are on a 5V.

http://www.swyx.com/uk/support/ssdb.html?kbid=kb2471

Comment

Nice site, wullieb, with great explanation.
          But while trying to figure out what samdazz has, I discovered something that makes me believe there shouldn't be any problem after all:
          - the Dell2550 has three full-length dedicated (33-MHz, 64-bit data width) PCI slots;
          - Adaptec AIC-7892 is a 64bit PCI card, that works on both 3.3V and 5V environments.
          It will be nice that someone will double check this, just to be sure I didn't miss anything.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
            Nice site, wullieb, with great explanation.
            But while trying to figure out what samdazz has, I discovered something that makes me believe there shouldn't be any problem after all:
            - the Dell2550 has three full-length dedicated (33-MHz, 64-bit data width) PCI slots;
            - Adaptec AIC-7892 is a 64bit PCI card, that works on both 3.3V and 5V environments.
            It will be nice that someone will double check this, just to be sure I didn't miss anything.
            I never checked the actual server.

Given the links you have posted it would seem you are correct though.

OP needs to post back.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
              Given the links you have posted it would seem you are correct though.
              10nx. Let's see ...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Thanks a lot, the web link Wullieb1 has provided was so helpful in differentiating slots.

Comment

I beleive the AIC-7892 card doesn't fit on 64 bit slots on Dell6650 properly, even it says its works with 3.3v and 5v, it needs a SCSI cable which will force us to push the cable inside the Server Box if we'll use this regular PCI cut slot card "AIC7892", leaving the rear part of the server open. Any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by samdazz View Post
                    leaving the rear part of the server open. Any suggestions?
                    No SysAdmin will consider this an acceptable solution.
                    What do you mean by "I believe the card doesn't fit"? You are the only one that has both the card and the server in the reach. Have you checked the issue? Have you tried to insert the card?
                    I tried to find a picture of the AIC7892, but no luck so far. I did find a schema of 6650 motherboard.
                    But I am starting to feel useless here. I don't know Dell servers enough. And only by looking at pictures, is not enough to give you a decent solution.
                    I think it's time you call a Dell representative or a support technician and get some professional answers here. You might need a raiser or a mezzanine card, who knows?
                    This is as far as I can get you. Sorry.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Again wise old Solomon has come up with the best answer. Call Dell and ask them and I would suggest get their answer in written form (eg an email) so if something does go bang you have comeback on them.

I don't think this forum can assist you any further with your problem due to its physical nature.

Sorin, as usual you have again done an outstanding job trying to find out about a product you are not familiar with and having no links provided by the OP about his various hardware. Rep Points added.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

10nx, Chris.
                        Being in unknown waters is the real thrill in the activity on the forum...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Originally posted by samdazz View Post
                          I beleive the AIC-7892 card doesn't fit on 64 bit slots on Dell6650 properly, even it says its works with 3.3v and 5v, it needs a SCSI cable which will force us to push the cable inside the Server Box if we'll use this regular PCI cut slot card "AIC7892", leaving the rear part of the server open. Any suggestions?
                          Now i'm lost.

What are you using the card for???

I don't understand the it needs a SCSI cable which will force us to push the cable inside the Server Box. Are you going to utilise an external tape device or external device of some sort?? Is the external cable connectors different from the external connector??

Comment

Working...
                          X