Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMART failure predictions...

Hey guys,

A client of mine has received the "SMART failure predicted on hard disk 0" error twice and tells her to backup her data immediately, etc. upon booting her Toshiba Satellite in the past week. Now, the interesting part is that I JUST installed a brand spanking new Seagate in it not even a month ago, reinstalled XP and restored her documents, etc! The original Fujitsu hard drive crapped out and didn't even last 1 year (her Outlook.pst went over 2 GB and corrupted that database and a whole lot more..that drive was just a gonner, but good thing she backed up her data!).

From what I've researched, the SMART warning is usually 50-60% correct and about 40-50% incorrect. Some people just turn off the warning and then it's fine!

Any suggestions? Just run chkdsk /r or some program to verify the hard drive is healthy? Any other good programs to verify it other than Drive Fitness Test? I can't imagine what the heck could it be if ANOTHER hard drive is going South on her!

Sam

Re: SMART failure predictions...

Download the diagnostic tools for the hard drive and run them. Hard drives do fail as they are a mechanical device. If it is faulty, then it will be under warranty and as such can be replaced without having to purchase a new one.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Wise precautions from Biggles there; always good to keep on top of potential failures. However, be prepared for good news because I have found SMART to be distinctly unreliable; i.e. it often predicts failures when there are none, and it often fails to predict any failure just before you lose all your data...

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

And that is why we have this strange creation called a BACKUP. Hard to say, easy to do, oh wait, that was the Johnnie Walker ad.

Make sure the data is backed up and don't overwrite the backups so you have more than one copy of your data. Also remember to backup Favorites and the PST if using a standalone Outlook (or whatever mail client you use). Finally, test the backup to make sure it is actually backing up correctly and that you can restore it (and if using NTBackup, restore to a different location when testing. Don't want to kill your live data).

A full diagnostic from some of the tools do a destructive pass. Again, make sure you have the data backed up. I prefer 4 different locations when backing up. (Being a SOHO I don't have an offsite backup yet but that is also a good thing to have.)
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
          it often predicts failures when there are none, and it often fails to predict any failure just before you lose all your data...
          This being said, isn't the OP right in his thought to disable SMART ?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
            This being said, isn't the OP right in his thought to disable SMART ?
            As a professional I couldn't recommend it... but it's what I do given the option. If I have warnings however I do follow Biggles' advice and thoroughly test the drive(s) in question.

YAY!! My thousandth post!

Tom
            For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Thanks guys,

I used SeaTools on it and ran both the basic and advanced test and they both passed! So, I'm assuming the SMART alert is wrong. Unfortunately, I went through every screen and I couldn't find the option in Pheonix BIOS to disable SMART monitoring?

I'll keep telling her to back her data up in case !

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
                YAY!! My thousandth post!

Congratulations, dude !!
                Thank you for being with us ...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                -

Comment

Working...
                X