Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to disable dual core on Dell Poweredge 2950 server

G'day folks,

I am hoping to get help on the issue of disabling dual core, if possible. Here are the facts:

- Dell Poweredge 2950 with Intel Xeon 5160 dual core CPU (single CPU dual core for better understanding)
    - Servers running Windows Server 2003 R2
    - Hyperthreading is not a feature of this particular CPU
    - Virtualization Technology is disabled by default in BIOS
    - Dual core cannot be disabled in BIOS (as it can on Optiplex workstations and laptops)
    - We need to run Batch Execution (GEFanuc product) on these servers, but GEFanuc does not recommend running it on dual core / multiple CPU machines.

I have seen the Microsoft articles (some previously posted here) but they refer to Windows 2000 family. These machines are mission critical and quite frankly, playing around with HAL and that does not make me feel extremely comfortable.

I have tried Set Affinity in Task Manager, GEFanuc cannot guarantee, customer won't accept. It is a bit of a headache, I know but I am still hoping some of you might have found a way around it.

Thank you all for your time.

Cheers

Re: How to disable dual core on Dell Poweredge 2950 server

Check for a new bios, the option to disable a core might have been added in a later version. If you can't find a newer version, your best bet is to consult Dell [there may be a jumper] on how it is possible for this particular rig.

Good luck.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

When updating from single CPU to a Dual, you update the driver in Device Manager. It maybe a case of Updating the driver to Standard PC and see if that runs just one CPU.
      Last edited by biggles77; 5th August 2007, 10:11. Reason: Spelling
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
        When updating from single CPU to a Dual, you update the driver in Device Manager. It maybe a case of Updating the driver to Standard PC and see if that runs juts one CPU.
        Or do what he said . Forgot about that.
        Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I don't think you can disbale the dual core option on a 2950.

Can't remember seeing it anyway

Comment

Slowly and painfully getting to the conclusion that it cannot be done.
            Thank you all for your time.

Comment

Working...
            X