Installing network printers on WinXP stationts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing network printers on WinXP stationts

Situation: I have a network with 300 computers. Every department has network printer. When i want to install printer on each workstation, i must log in like user who is working on that wrkstat. The problem is when i must set up printer on one workstation for more than one user. Each time i must install printer. When i do it on 300 wrkstat. it is a lot of job.
    Question: can you please help me to find solution to resolve that problem?
    Last edited by migor78; 25th July 2007, 14:53. Reason: errors

Re: Installing network printers on WinXP stationts

Why not come up with some instructions with screen shots and mail them to the users - quick and easy way.

You could use logon scripts to map printers depending on what groups users are in (This hasbeen done before so search teh forums) but I think some plain and simple instructions should be sufficient.

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Installing network printers on WinXP workstations

Originally posted by migor78 View Post
      Situation: I have a network with 300 computers. Every department has network printer. When i want to install printer on each workstation, i must log in like user who is working on that wrkstat. The problem is when i must set up printer on one workstation for more than one user. Each time i must install printer. When i do it on 300 wrkstat. it is a lot of job.
      Question: can you please help me to find solution to resolve that problem?
      Depends on how you print, if it's thru an printserver then use an script to map to printers, if it's straight to IP then you only need to install the printer once (as an local printer which prints to an TCP/IP port) on every machine and it will be availeble to every user who log's on.

Comment

Re: Installing network printers on WinXP workstations

Originally posted by RonaldM View Post
        Depends on how you print, if it's thru an printserver then use an script to map to printers, if it's straight to IP then you only need to install the printer once (as an local printer which prints to an TCP/IP port) on every machine and it will be availeble to every user who log's on.
        st a thought,
        If you map each workstation straight through to a network printer, you will have endless problems as each queue will try to send straight to the device.

Better to have one machine as the print server and use a logon script to map it -- its about 5 lines of VBS
        Code:
        Option Explicit
        Dim netPrinter, UNCpath
        UNCpath = "\\YourServer\PrinterName" 
        Set netPrinter = CreateObject("WScript.Network") 
        netPrinter.AddWindowsPrinterConnection UNCpath
        WScript.Echo "Your printer is mapped from : " & UNCpath
        WScript.Quit
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Installing network printers on WinXP stationts

Or if your printers are always going to be static then you could create a local port for the printer then install it using that then it willshow up for all users.

Comment

Working...
          X