Mysterious Thumbs.db files

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mysterious Thumbs.db files

Has anyone any further ideas as to why these wretched normally hidden THUMBS.DB files appear in various folders. Someone suggested it ws the fault of Paintshop Pro, but they started to appear again on this completely new PC using the good old reliable Windows XP before I reinstalled PaintShop Pro again.

I did manage to produce a program that finds and deletes all the thumbs.db files, but it needs to have two swipes at it as for some reason as a few come back after the first swipe. I will put the program up on my site if anyone is interested in a free copy.

Re: Mysterious Thumbs.db files

DUH !
    Thumbs.db file is neither mysterious, nor harmful. As the Wikipedia definition states, it is a file that the OS (Microsoft OSes, that is) create whenever you have pictures or movies in a folder and you choose View -> Thumbnails for that folder. If you go one level up, and that folder is set also to show thumbnails, you will notice that the folder icon has small thumbnails of the pictures inside.
    This said, I can see no reason for you to delete them. Especially when the OS will create them again and again.
    Why does it bother you?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Thanks kindly for your explanation, I suspected after all it was part of the Windows setup. It is just that we accumilate so many dubious files and cookies on the system I like to know why sometimes. Only last evening my Norton scan shoed up a dubious cookie. Although it quoted it as only a low risk I deleted it.

So when I upload to the News Pages on one of my now Orange sites for those in a Seniors Forum to see, should I allow the thumbs.db to upload or not to save web space which is very limited?

Comment

Hi, GordonSweet.
        I think you are right in your suspicions, and anything you don't have explanation for should be researched. I only think it will be better to ask questions first and delete later There are things that the OS doesn't like to be erased
        Anyway, ignore these files when uploading your content to any web site, they are useless.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Working...
        X