How to disable the LAN connection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to disable the LAN connection

Doese anyone know of suitable code to disable the LAN connection using Vista and the code to enable the LAN connection again when needed. My son is lumberied with the UK Free Sky Broadband which is connected all the time the PC is on.

Due to my programming limitations it wourl help if teh code could be used in QB or FB in text mode SCREEN 0

Gordon

Re: How to disable the LAN connection

Not sure if this will help you, but in a batch file (create a text file with the extension ".bat") type the command:
    Code:
    ipconfig /release
    To re-enable, use
    Code:
    ipconfig /renew
    in another batch file.
    Best wishes,
    PaulH.
    MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Thanks

When I visit my son I will copy a couple of BAT files as sugested.

Comment

My moden uses the USB so I cannot test if the code disables the LAN connection until I test it on my son's Vista system, as you can see from below. It will not recognise the command if no data is passing in the Ethernet connection I presume.

Windows IP Configuration

No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected.

Comment

Originally posted by GordonSweet View Post
          ...It will not recognise the command if no data is passing in the Ethernet connection I presume.

Windows IP Configuration

No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected.
          That's saying there is no cable connected, and not that there is no data passing. So, wait until you are in the correct enviornment (your son's pc) before playing with it and then you'll be able to see if it achieves your objective. I don't really know what your objective is, since I think it is a condition of Sky that you are permanently connected, but as I do not have free sky I'm in the dark here, so I can only answer the concern about disabling the NIC in a command or a script. What you use it for is outside my playground
          Best wishes,
          PaulH.

Comment

I must refer you Paul to the following posted by Ossian under the Free Sky Broadband thread in thsi section. Personally I strongly object to ANYONE hacking into the use of my PC for whatever reason. However in view of the massive amount of Free sofware avalaible I admit we have to tolerate some spyware.

================================================== =

Gordon,
            You might also want to check the Sky Anytime agreement as I believe they are using your sons PC as part of their own peer to peer network and using your bandwidth to deliver their content to other subscribers. If you are on a restricted bandwidth deal with your ISP, you might want to check this out.

I had a look at Sky's software a few months ago and "No F$%^ing way do they get their grubby paws inside my PCs!"

Comment

Just for future reference you can use the following commands to enable and disbale the NIC.

netsh interface set interface "Local Area Connection" ENABLE

and

netsh interface set interface "Local Area Connection" DISBALE

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                Just for future reference you can use the following commands to enable and disbale the NIC.

netsh interface set interface "Local Area Connection" ENABLE

and

netsh interface set interface "Local Area Connection" DISBALE
                Yes I think that is a more thorough way to do it - I suggest you use this method rather than my "ipconfig /release" suggestion. wullieb1's method is better.
                Best wishes,
                PaulH.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulH View Post
                  Yes I think that is a more thorough way to do it - I suggest you use this method rather than my "ipconfig /release" suggestion. wullieb1's method is better.
                  Cheers m8.

BTW it should actually read disable and not what i've put before someone points it out to me.

Comment

Working...
                  X