Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Infamous IBM Thinkpad error codes wont go away!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infamous IBM Thinkpad error codes wont go away!

Hey guys,

One of my clients has dinosaur IBM Thinkpad 600 that gets the infamous 161, 192, 163 error codes upon booting.

According to the IBM/Lenovo database:
    161 = Dead CMOS battery
    163 = Date and time are not set clock not updated
    192 = Check CPU Fan

Basically, I started out by replacing the CMOS battery. I checked it's voltage and it was about .4 V...obviously, I figured that was the issue. I got a new, CR2025 battery, fresh, read 3 V, and installed it.

Restarted, the 192 error went away. Now it's back to 161 and 163. I tried getting into the EZ Setup to correct the time (press F1 and hold it down when its off and turning on while booting up), but it still wouldn't access the BIOS.

Right now, it just brings me to the next screen to enter a BIOS password (doesn't have one, not that I know of), I just hit Enter, says "OK", then brings me to an error screen with the flying duck telling me refer to the user manual, and I'm stuck here.

Out of curiosity, I took my RAM out just to see if it gives me any new error codes (it displays the amount of RAM installed above the errors). I took out both sticks and it still displays 32 MB RAM OK!

Somehow the CMOS/BIOS needs to be reset, methinks? From what I've Googled so far, it seems to be a common issue!

Any help is very much appreciated!!

Sam

Re: Infamous IBM Thinkpad error codes wont go away!

Does your client have the BIOS password???

If not then you'll need to get rid of the password to enter the BIOS.

http://www.tech-faq.com/ibm-thinkpad...password.shtml

Comment

She gave me two passwords to try, but they both didn't work...

I guess I'll have to try and reset the CMOS via shorting the password pads if I can find them and do it right...that's what other people have suggested (random articles found on Google).

I'll give it a shot...

Comment

Originally posted by stommy989 View Post
        She gave me two passwords to try, but they both didn't work...

I guess I'll have to try and reset the CMOS via shorting the password pads if I can find them and do it right...that's what other people have suggested (random articles found on Google).

I'll give it a shot...
        The artile i have posted will tell you how to reset the password.

Comment

Three years ago I used to work on IBM notebooks for a local 'authorized' IBM repair facility. There was an extended warranty on some ThinkPads for a system board replacement for the same problem you describe. I do not know if it involved your model.

Find an IBM authorized service center and have them look up the serial number to see if it is eligible for replacement. The replacement covered products outside the normal consumer warranty.

Concerning the BIOS password, if the 'supervisor' password was set and then forgotten, you have to send the notebook to a repair facility. It is not like a Dell where you can short a few pins. The power on password can easily be rest.
          Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

Working...
          X