Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thin Client USB Priting

Hello all,

I am looking at adding a usb printer to my hp thin client running windows ce 5.0. When I go through adding a printer there is no usb port? I have searched a little and found that it could be called lpt2 port. Is this the case or should usb show in the ports list?

Cheers
    Simon
    Kind Regards,
    Simon

Re: Thin Client USB Priting

How were you hoping to print to it? Surely a thin client's local OS is purely designed to connect to a terminal server?

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
      How were you hoping to print to it? Surely a thin client's local OS is purely designed to connect to a terminal server?
      Yes it is connecting to a ts server but the printer is connected to the thin client and then the printer is connected via rdp to the server.

Can the thin client print to usb?

Thanks very much
      Simon
      Kind Regards,
      Simon

Comment

Hi, Simon.
        I never thought of that, but I can try to test it when I'll be back to work next week. Are you sure that this is the best set-up? Why not a networked printer?
        What TC are you using? 5510? 5520?
        And what printer?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

We have a networked printer but a lot of users also have their own printers currently attached to there pc which will be swapped for a thin client. I have lpt and com printing fine just wondered if usb printing is possible?

We are using hp t5530.

Thanks again
          Simon
          Kind Regards,
          Simon

Comment

Well, I don't have good news...
            I tried to install an HP3005 printer on a T5530 TC and it didn't work. Looks like USB ports aren't even a place the TC expects a printer. When I tried to install it manually, it showed me only LPT and COM ports and networked printers.
            I opened a support ticket in HP's forums, we'll see if anything useful will come from that direction.
            I'll keep you in touch.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
              Well, I don't have good news...
              I tried to install an HP3005 printer on a T5530 TC and it didn't work. Looks like USB ports aren't even a place the TC expects a printer. When I tried to install it manually, it showed me only LPT and COM ports and networked printers.
              I opened a support ticket in HP's forums, we'll see if anything useful will come from that direction.
              I'll keep you in touch.
              Thats not good! Thanks for trying for me. When the usb printer is plugged in a lpt2 port appears so I assumed that would be the usb?

Thanks for your help!
              Simon
              Last edited by Si_Pe; 23rd July 2007, 11:35. Reason: Typo!
              Kind Regards,
              Simon

Comment

Originally posted by Si_Pe View Post
                a lpt2 port appears so I assumed that would be the usb?
                I don't know, it doesn't show on my thin clients... I'll check again in few days, I'm working on upgrading their BIOS and OS...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

I don't know, it doesn't show on my thin clients... I'll check again in few days, I'm working on upgrading their BIOS and OS...
                  Thankyou!

It's not there when the printer isn't connected but as soon as I connect the usb printer the lpt2 appears in the list.

Many thanks
                  Simon
                  Kind Regards,
                  Simon

Comment

Hi, Simon.
                    There was an answer on HP's support forum after all.
                    On this page: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...riesId=3341951 you have the manuals for T5530. Take a look at Technical guides and product specifications, on page 37 (JetCet 4.0 section) you have the explanation regarding local printers. And yes, you are right, the USB port is called LPT2 when a printer is attached to it.

Good luck, m8.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Thanks very much for your help with this!

I will let you know how I get on!

Cheers
                      Simon
                      Kind Regards,
                      Simon

Comment

Hi, Simon.
                        There was an answer on HP's support forum after all.
                        On this page: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...riesId=3341951 you have the manuals for T5530. Take a look at Technical guides and product specifications, on page 37 (JetCet 4.0 section) you have the explanation regarding local printers. And yes, you are right, the USB port is called LPT2 when a printer is attached to it.

Good luck, m8.
                        Thanks for your help with this, I still haven't got the usb printing ok but the ltp is ok. It just wont print.

Looks like we are going to have to put a couple of print servers for the users that can't use a office base network printer.

Cheers for you advice
                        Simon
                        Kind Regards,
                        Simon

Comment

10nx, m8, for the update.
                          My tests with USB printers weren't successful also. I don't need it though (it was only for you, you know ).
                          BTW, have you noticed there are new versions for both the BIOS and the OS for T5530? You should upgrade, if you didn't already do so.
                          Good luck.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

10nx, m8, for the update.
                            My tests with USB printers weren't successful also. I don't need it though (it was only for you, you know ).
                            BTW, have you noticed there are new versions for both the BIOS and the OS for T5530? You should upgrade, if you didn't already do so.
                            Good luck.
                            That's very kind! Thankyou

I will try the bios update and see how I get on otherwise I think I will leave it.

Thanks again!
                            Simon
                            Kind Regards,
                            Simon

Comment

Working...
                            X