Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loss of Monitor Output & Cannot Re-Boot

Hi There

My wife was using our PC the other day and after leaving it for a few hours came back to find the monitor had gone blank...and was showing an orange power light (standby). So she tried moving the mouse in case it was a monitor power setting but nothing happened. Next she reset the PC.

However the PC is not re-booting and of course the monitor seems to be on standby so i cannot see any display. I have tried re-booting several times and although i think it does a POST it still doesnt go any further.

I am running Windows XP Home Edition

The mother board (ABIT) doesnt have on board VGA so i have a inno3D GeForce FX5200 installed

The PSU is running, the Pentium 4 CPU fan is running, the PS2 mouse doesnt seem to be activated, on the USB keyboard the Num Lock is active but nothing else

I have had one issue with the VGA before but was able to rectify (with help from your forums) by using safe mode and re-installing drivers

I have recently added 512MB RAM to the system, to take me up to 1GB

I have been trying to see if it is somehow hardware related and have removed the new RAM, also checked for any loose screws etc that maybe causing a short, removed the VGA card, but still no luck.

So i am hoping that someone can help me with some more suggestions

Re: Loss of Monitor Output & Cannot Re-Boot

Remove power cable from the PC. Wait a couple of minutes, replace cable and then try booting the machine.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi Biggles

Thanks for responding. Actually i tried this but no change.

I am wondering if it is down to some kind of virus or a hardware fault.....

Comment

Have you go another monitor you can try on this system? If you have a laptop you could connect the monitor to that to see if it is working. You will need to press a Function key to cycle through the different display options unless you have one that will auto detect the monitor.

It may indeed be a hardware fault. Maybe the power supply on the PC isn't delivering the correct volyage on one of the rails. Could be one of several things unfortunately. Try the monitor or laptop options first.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi Biggles,

I tried connecting my laptop to the monitor as suggested and the monitor is working fine

Also i took another monitor and connected it to the faulty pc with the same result...with the monitor just switching to standby mode.

Do you think i should try a different graphics card...i maybe able to take one out of another pc that i have...however i guess with without the correct drivers it wouldn't just plug in and work....would it?

Thanks for your continued help!

Comment

Even without the correct drivers you should get some video and yes, swapping the video cards is a good idea.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I have had a similar problem to this before and it was caused by some setting in my BIOS getting messed up. I cleared my CMOS to reset it back to factory defaults and that worked. You might try this if replacing the graphics card does not work. Please keep in mind that this will clear any custom settings you may have in your BIOS. If you are unsure as how to clear your CMOS I would refer to your motherboard or computer manual.

Usually you will have to power down the computer, ground yourself, remove the CMOS battery (looks like a watch battery) and move a jumper on your motherboard. Those are the steps that I took on my machine. Hopefully you can find an easier solution. Hope that helps!
              Justin
              A+ Net+ MCP

Comment

Thanks Justin & Biggles

I will try a different graphics card this evening, if that doesnt do it i will go for the BIOS

I wil report back on the results

Cheers
                Jon

Comment

Hi,

Well its not good news

Using a different graphics card had no effect so i tried clearin the BIOS as suggested by Justin but still no joy

Not sure where to go now but will also check the motherboard (ABIT) web site..

any more ideas gratefully received!

Jon

Comment

Is your graphics card in an AGP slot? It is possible that your AGP slot has gone bad. You could try and get a PCI(not PCI express) graphics card to see if that works in there. Checking ABIT's site is a good idea.
                    Justin
                    A+ Net+ MCP

Comment

Don't forget about the Power Supply. If that has a faulty power rail that could cause your problem. Swap one out of another machine and try that.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi Justin & Biggles

Thanks for sticking with me on this one!

I think i will probably focus on the PSU next.

Unfortunately i havent got another PSU around so before going off to buy one, i thought i would first take the MB out of the case (to ensure no shorts) and hook it up to the PSU with minimal components connected (i guess CPU and HDD) just to see what happens.

Does this seem a reasonable idea?

Thanks
                        Jon

Comment

Originally posted by Dens2 View Post
                          Hi Justin & Biggles

Thanks for sticking with me on this one!

I think i will probably focus on the PSU next.

Unfortunately i havent got another PSU around so before going off to buy one, i thought i would first take the MB out of the case (to ensure no shorts) and hook it up to the PSU with minimal components connected (i guess CPU and HDD) just to see what happens.

Does this seem a reasonable idea?

Thanks
                          Jon
                          If you have a mutimeter you can check the PSU yourself.

http://www.driverheaven.net/guides/testingPSU/

Comment

Thanks Wullieb1

I will get hold of a decent digi meter (need one anyhow!) and follow the instructions from the link.

BR
                            Jon

Comment

Hi All,

I am now stumped!

I bought myself a digi meter and checked the PSU rails and everything seems to be in spec.

I also followed some trouble shooting tips from ABIT

I havent followed Justin's idea yet of trying a PCI graphics card instead of using the AGP slot...however i am not hopeful..unless you think i should give it a go.

I have now taken everthing out of the case and rebuilt the system bit by bit on a table and at each stage trying to re-start but each time it just gets to the same stage and no further. I think it is trying a POST and will sniff the CD-ROM before giving the HDD a couple of "buzzes"...but that is as far as it gets.

I am now concerned that perhaps i have an infected or corrupted OS....

Any ideas of what i should do next gratefully received as i now come to a dead end and i may now be asking advice on disaster recovery to try to save my HDD data if possible.

Thanks
                              Jon

Comment

Working...
                              X