Floppy Drives

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floppy Drives

I know floppy drives are fast going out of fashhion now often replaced by the likes of rewritable CDs and Flash Roms. But being one of the ' older generation ' I still have a collection of 3.5 and 5.25 floppy disks, many containing data not yet stored on a CD.

I was wondering if I buy a new PC soon, do I need to have a console with a floppy drive installed, or have they now found a clever way of connecting either a 3.5 in or a 5.25 in drive to the PC via the usb port. It would of course need to include a plug both for the power and one for data.

Gordon

Re: Floppy Drives

If you plan on just migrating once all your floppies to CD then you do not need an installed floppy drive on your machine (even though I do have one and never ever used it.) You can get a external USB floppy drive and there is no need for a power cable. The power comes from in the USB port.

What I have in my laptop case is a removable floppy drive from a laptop that has USB port as well. A lifesaver for recovery of servers with raid drivers that need to be in floppy drives. Do a search on ebay for dell laptop floppy drives. Then check to see if they have the USB port.
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Thanks.

So when I order a new PC I will ask for either a Floppy Drive to be installed or an external one from the USB port. It not really a question of haviing loads of data needing to be copied to a CD I have done most of that already. It is just a few bits I might need trasferring and also the convenince of giving floppy disks to frieds who still have older PCs with the Floppy Drive.

Gordon

Comment

If this is a new desktop I would just toss it in, the cost here is negligible. The only reason I mentioned the USB part is because it is a little know fact that some laptop floppy drives are also USB if you need to carry one with you.
        "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

And that, is, of course, for 3.5" floppy drives...
          Has anyone seen a 5.25" drive lately? I was stunned to see one on eBay ... I wonder if exist anything in today's computers that such drive can connect to...

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
          In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -
          «««««

Comment

Maybe you could Mind Meld a 3.5" to a 5.25". I can see a career path in that.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
              How come I did not think of that ?!? Must be an Administrator thing
              Thanks, biggles! You make my day !!
              Milo for everyone !!

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
              In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
              -
              «««««

Comment

for 5.25, i dunno, but maybe. i know for a fact that SMSC used to make a USB floppy controller for 3.5 drives...

and i remember a para. floppy drive a long time ago, when i still payed attention to para. and serial devices.
                its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
                Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Working...
                X