Uk Free Sky Broadband

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uk Free Sky Broadband

My son has got himself the FREE Broadband from Sky since he is a customer for their satellite TV . Strangely he has been told with this crazy broadband he must stay online ALL THE TIME and cannot go offline while the PC is on. Hardly conducive to discouraging hackers is it? As result he cannot log in because he is already online all the time.

Has anyone ever heard of such a daft setup or is there a way of controlling when you wish to go online.

Gordon

Re: Uk Free Sky Broadband

I think they're touting it as a benefit (as opposed to dial-up where you have to go through a lengthly connection process before having access to the Internet). There is certainly no "Requirement" to stay online; if you're connected via Ethernet, then you can right-click the LAN connection icon and select "Disable" and you will be disconnected - you can reverse the operation later - or even simply unplug the network lead out the back of the PC. If you're on USB then you can simply unplug the USB lead out the back of the PC or the ADSL Modem.

I don't think, as I said, that it's a rule; I think they were trying to tell you how good it is.

HOWEVER - I cannot stress enough how important it is to be running personal firewall software along with some anti-malware function - personally I use AVG Anti-Malware and Zone Alarm Pro. It's absolutely essential that you do this otherwise the hackers will be after you in a second. Also make sure you apply ALL Windows Security updates as soon as they arrive.
    Last edited by Stonelaughter; 2nd July 2007, 14:03.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Thanks S for your help.

I should have mentioned perhaps he is running Vista. As I do not have Vista on this PC could you please tell me where he will find his LAN connector icon.

Sky have provided him with a years subscrption to McFee so I assume his firewall is activatedf OK

Gordon

Comment

McAfee is a company, not a product per se. They offer antivirus, firewall, etc. software. Which specific product(s) from McAfee did he get?
        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Gordon,
          You might also want to check the Sky Anytime agreement as I believe they are using your sons PC as part of their own peer to peer network and using your bandwidth to deliver their content to other subscribers. If you are on a restricted bandwidth deal with your ISP, you might want to check this out.

I had a look at Sky's software a few months ago and "No F$%^ing way do they get their grubby paws inside my PCs!"
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by GordonSweet View Post
            Thanks S for your help.

I should have mentioned perhaps he is running Vista. As I do not have Vista on this PC could you please tell me where he will find his LAN connector icon.

Sky have provided him with a years subscrption to McFee so I assume his firewall is activatedf OK

Gordon
            Absolutely no idea I'm afraid; I am supremely ignorant of Vista and have no desire to investigate it yet on my own PC... when I get it at work I'll let you know!

Tom
            For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Working...
            X